Hi. I have been a member of a shooting club for a while now where we have a 25m and a 50m indoor ranges. I have been waiting 23 weeks to date for my FAC and have been told it's been approved. Could be here any day. I have decided that for the 25/50 ranges I want a CZ 0.22LR with varmint barrel and laminated thumb hole stock with a Nikko Serling 3-12 x 56 sight.

I have also requested a 0.308 for my license which I want to use for target shooting. I really want to shoot at 200m+ but other than Yoxter up on Mendip know of no other ranges and have no idea how to get to shoot at Yoxter (Military). My ticket will not be open, so I will only be able to shoot at Home Office Approved ranges. I live near Bristol; can anyone here recommend any ranges ? I want to garner some club style tuition and possibly compete in some low level fun matches perhaps . I guess without some form of competition one has no measure of improvement.

I want to buy a 308 that will be reasonably accurate up to say 800m. I've drooled over Accuracy International guns, but get the impression that they are going to be beyond my means. Any suggestions on a good gun that won't need upgrading too soon. I do like wood and would always favour a wooden stock over synthetic. Most of my club friends have sporting 308s which have to cool down after 3 rounds, so a heavy barrelled gun is important to me. Suggestions on optics would be appreciated for the 308.

I am quite keen to do my own reloads, not just to save dosh, but also to make my ammunition perfect for my shooting requirements. I really like the idea of the experimenting with creating the perfect rounds. Any tips on how to get started without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Ralph

Ralph,

First 'welcome' to UKV.

Re. Your choice of 22rf - the CZ's that I have owned or seen perform have all been pretty darn good so a nice choice there. I would alsways advise getting behind whatever you fancy and trying it if at all possible before buying.

Re. The 308, good cartridge to start with as you can always obtain milsurp ammo but if you are going to reload why not go for something like a 6.5 Creedmoor which would have better performance?

a Tikka in some format would be good in either 308 or the 6.5 Creedmoor or if you want 'wood' and 308 the CZ 557 Varmint has all you need.

As to scopes for the CF - you do not give you budget so hard to say but do not skimp on the optics (and mounts) a used good brand would be better than a new 'not so good' For range use I would suggest external adjustments are a must i.e. Not capped stalking scopes turrets.

As to ranges and where to shoot, if your club does not 'do' enough FB than you'll have to find a different one who books ranges where you can shoot? Some clubs also share ranges with others so give more oppertunities to shoot. The club i have just joined, FDPC, has reciprocal agreements with two other shooting organisations locally which works very well.

Reloading is the way to go eventually, actually no reason why not from the get go, but get some help/advice on what to do also what not to buy as a beginner.

Welcome to our sport! :)

Terry

Thanks Terry

My club is friendly and welcoming and I enjoy shooting on the inside ranges to give me plenty of trigger time, but I think the majority are more interesting in sporting shooting rather than any form of serious target shooting.  The lads have been very supportive over my seemingly eternal wait to get my FAC and have generously encouraged me to use their firearms. I'm pretty committed to 308 now as I don't want to do anything that may slow down the process even more than it is currently.

My budget for the 308 including optics etc must not go over £2K or SWMBO will be wearing my nuts as earrings! She'd be horrified to know I have even considered such a high budget anyway :lol:

There was a lad at club last week who has a fabulous AI and I had a shot with it. He says he shoots at Salisbury Plain with the 500 club and says he might be able to invite me along as a guest. :D

Thanks for the welcome.

Ralph

Archived