Jump to content
That bald headed Geordie

Question to all ex forces snipers out there (if any).

Recommended Posts

Whilst at work earlier on this evening I was talking to a younger member of staff who said he would like to get back into shooting rifle.

I asked him what he had shot before and when.    He said when he was in the Army Cadets about 6 years ago he shot at Bisley with the Accuracy International sniper rifle which was in 7.62 Nato.    He commented that he shot at 1000yds and he managed to get 5 shots into a 50 pence piece and 3 were touching.      And all of his other groups he shot throughout the day didn't exceed 3 inches.

So I listened with interest and stated 'That's bullsh*t' and he didn't seemed phased but I said bring your targets in if you have them which he said he would do next week.    I said had they been signed off by the Queen/Prime Minister/Defence Secretary as if true then that would be a world record.

He then corrected himself and said if was actually the size of a £5 coin which is about 38mm dia.

So this is to all ex forces snipers who have used the AI in 7.62x51.     Do you smell the same smell as I do,   or is he a person to be worshipped as a shooting God,   Or am I being too harsh and cynical.

I did say that if true I would bear my ars* in Fenwicks window in the centre of Newcastle.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the population of Newcastle is safe for the Christmas display,  I don't think any Cadet armouries will have AI's in the rack.  Unless he was given a taster while visiting the ranges , but I'm with you and call BS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Bisley I am sure they still use the Parker Hale M85 or L89 as it was called not an AI. 

Sorry im taking crap, it was the L81 based off the M82 . 

Sure it was designated the L89 at one point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask him what part of Hartlepool he was born in....sounds like a right monkey-hanger

If he's local to the Toon he'll have had his slide rule upside down & all his feats were performed on a 1000-inch range.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common for some people who had 'a go' when they were in the cadets etc

Neighbour of mine shot a .303 Lee Enfield and got bulls every time at ranges of over a mile.....

And  he's a senior legal counsel.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vortex said:

At Bisley I am sure they still use the Parker Hale M85 or L89 as it was called not an AI. 

Sorry im taking crap, it was the L81 based off the M82 . 

Sure it was designated the L89 at one point. 

Now you mention it he said it was an L8 something or other and it would have been the Parker Hale.    After what he said and how accurate it was,   I need to buy one immediately and get the new 5 shot world record of less than 1.2 inches or thereabouts.   Victory will be mine I tell you,  all mine!!!!!!   (insert manic laughter).....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember to use military 7.62 ammo as well Les. Your handloads will surely be crap by comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Remember to use military 7.62 ammo as well Les. Your handloads will surely be crap by comparison. 

That's a given Laurie.   Will trim the meplats as well to reduce the bc and to make it more interesting/challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye looked it up before it’s the L81A2 now.  

Sure it wasn’t the no8 firing .22 he was getting those results wither 1000.

 

i once new a lad that told me he had to bail out of a glider.

i said what height, 1000ft he said( hmmm alarm bells)

then he told me it was birdstrike, a bloody  parrot he said. (Walked away shaking head)

true story that.

Need to get one of those no8 before they scrap them all they were a good little .22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will be one of the 50% that were snipers whilst in.

The other 50% were in "the unit".

They all demand a discount.

I switch off these days when the opening gambit is " used to" or I'm currently.....

A discount to the first squaddie that comes in....who tells me he's a cook.

some mutha must be.:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother was a cook. Will that do?:lol:

He referred to his branch as Andy Cap’s Commandos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baldie said:

He will be one of the 50% that were snipers whilst in.

The other 50% were in "the unit".

They all demand a discount.

I switch off these days when the opening gambit is " used to" or I'm currently.....

A discount to the first squaddie that comes in....who tells me he's a cook.

some mutha must be.:lol:

 

Just ask to see their MOD 90 if they claim they are currently serving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, That bald headed Geordie said:

Whilst at work earlier on this evening I was talking to a younger member of staff who said he would like to get back into shooting rifle.

I asked him what he had shot before and when.    He said when he was in the Army Cadets about 6 years ago he shot at Bisley with the Accuracy International sniper rifle which was in 7.62 Nato.    He commented that he shot at 1000yds and he managed to get 5 shots into a 50 pence piece and 3 were touching.      And all of his other groups he shot throughout the day didn't exceed 3 inches.

So I listened with interest and stated 'That's bullsh*t' and he didn't seemed phased but I said bring your targets in if you have them which he said he would do next week.    I said had they been signed off by the Queen/Prime Minister/Defence Secretary as if true then that would be a world record.

He then corrected himself and said if was actually the size of a £5 coin which is about 38mm dia.

So this is to all ex forces snipers who have used the AI in 7.62x51.     Do you smell the same smell as I do,   or is he a person to be worshipped as a shooting God,   Or am I being too harsh and cynical.

I did say that if true I would bear my ars* in Fenwicks window in the centre of Newcastle.

Cheers.

He`s gen .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


BHTargets200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg

Danny Trowsdale 200.png

safeshot 200.jpg

tacfire 200.jpg

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

border_ballistics_UKV_ad.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

tab 200.jpg



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy