Question to all ex forces snipers out there (if any).

Whilst at work earlier on this evening I was talking to a younger member of staff who said he would like to get back into shooting rifle.

I asked him what he had shot before and when.    He said when he was in the Army Cadets about 6 years ago he shot at Bisley with the Accuracy International sniper rifle which was in 7.62 Nato.    He commented that he shot at 1000yds and he managed to get 5 shots into a 50 pence piece and 3 were touching.      And all of his other groups he shot throughout the day didn't exceed 3 inches.

So I listened with interest and stated 'That's bullsh*t' and he didn't seemed phased but I said bring your targets in if you have them which he said he would do next week.    I said had they been signed off by the Queen/Prime Minister/Defence Secretary as if true then that would be a world record.

He then corrected himself and said if was actually the size of a £5 coin which is about 38mm dia.

So this is to all ex forces snipers who have used the AI in 7.62x51.     Do you smell the same smell as I do,   or is he a person to be worshipped as a shooting God,   Or am I being too harsh and cynical.

I did say that if true I would bear my ars* in Fenwicks window in the centre of Newcastle.

Cheers.

18 hours ago, Vortex said:

At Bisley I am sure they still use the Parker Hale M85 or L89 as it was called not an AI. 

Sorry im taking crap, it was the L81 based off the M82 . 

Sure it was designated the L89 at one point. 

Now you mention it he said it was an L8 something or other and it would have been the Parker Hale.    After what he said and how accurate it was,   I need to buy one immediately and get the new 5 shot world record of less than 1.2 inches or thereabouts.   Victory will be mine I tell you,  all mine!!!!!!   (insert manic laughter).....

20 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Remember to use military 7.62 ammo as well Les. Your handloads will surely be crap by comparison. 

That's a given Laurie.   Will trim the meplats as well to reduce the bc and to make it more interesting/challenging.

Ye looked it up before it’s the L81A2 now.  

Sure it wasn’t the no8 firing .22 he was getting those results wither 1000.

i once new a lad that told me he had to bail out of a glider.

i said what height, 1000ft he said( hmmm alarm bells)

then he told me it was birdstrike, a bloody  parrot he said. (Walked away shaking head)

true story that.

Need to get one of those no8 before they scrap them all they were a good little .22

He will be one of the 50% that were snipers whilst in.

The other 50% were in "the unit".

They all demand a discount.

I switch off these days when the opening gambit is " used to" or I'm currently.....

A discount to the first squaddie that comes in....who tells me he's a cook.

some mutha must be.:lol:

2 hours ago, baldie said:

I switch off these days when the opening gambit is " used to" or I'm currently.....

Just ask to see their MOD 90 if they claim they are currently serving.

23 hours ago, That bald headed Geordie said:

Whilst at work earlier on this evening I was talking to a younger member of staff who said he would like to get back into shooting rifle.

I asked him what he had shot before and when.    He said when he was in the Army Cadets about 6 years ago he shot at Bisley with the Accuracy International sniper rifle which was in 7.62 Nato.    He commented that he shot at 1000yds and he managed to get 5 shots into a 50 pence piece and 3 were touching.      And all of his other groups he shot throughout the day didn't exceed 3 inches.

So I listened with interest and stated 'That's bullsh*t' and he didn't seemed phased but I said bring your targets in if you have them which he said he would do next week.    I said had they been signed off by the Queen/Prime Minister/Defence Secretary as if true then that would be a world record.

He then corrected himself and said if was actually the size of a £5 coin which is about 38mm dia.

So this is to all ex forces snipers who have used the AI in 7.62x51.     Do you smell the same smell as I do,   or is he a person to be worshipped as a shooting God,   Or am I being too harsh and cynical.

I did say that if true I would bear my ars* in Fenwicks window in the centre of Newcastle.

Cheers.

He`s gen .

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 6:22 PM, baldie said:

I 'used to' be in the Royal Navy (when we had more than 20 ships with guns/missiles etc) and our navy cooks were the hardest and the most mean and dangerous of all motherf9ck2rs.  They killed more people than the SAS/SBS/Mossad/KGB/CIA/MI5 etc put together.     Not a lot of people know that!!      I tasted their stews/dishes and survived but I do not want to talk about it.  I still wake up screaming in terror during the night.    Leave it alone and walk away lol.   

Archived