Sign in to follow this  
Gluv

Lapua .338 250gr Scenar

Hi guys

I have been working up a load for my Aw with the 250gr Scenar .According to StrelokPro it should go subsonic at 1110 meters with the velocity I'm running. 

Out of interest how does the 250 gr Scenar behave as it drops in speed, has anybody mortared it out to any great distance with much accuracy?

cheers

Gluv

Litz states that the 250 Scenar betters the 300g into transonic....shorter and more stable I guess.

I have shot mine to 1340 ok but not further as yet.

Thats 95g of N570 in a 30" barrel up around 2900fps.

Thanks Dave

Im running mine at 2750 in a 27" barrel with 81.8 gr of vit 165 It's consistently 1/2 Moa at 100 meters so I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do at range

Gluv

On 13/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, Gluv said:

Thanks Dave

Im running mine at 2750 in a 27" barrel with 81.8 gr of vit 165 It's consistently 1/2 Moa at 100 meters so I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do at range

Gluv

A mate has a barret 98b and runs 250gr lockbases at 3000fps from the 27 inch barrel.i can't recall powder but it was around 90grs. 

That sounds rather a stiff load! . I was getting a stiff bolt at about 2900fps

I believe the army also runs lockbases at high pressures, can't remember where I read it though

Gluv

Yes I imagine it was.i think I recall I had a couple of tight bolts when I fired it.

Cases make a BIG difference in a lap mag.

Run Lapua and you will be fine. Try the same load in the RUAG [military case ] and you will need to drop the charge by 5 grains. It over pressures this brass summat terrible.

One of the key things to me is getting a good low ES , so a good chrono is a must (lab radar) . I did some load development for a friend:  84 grains vhit n165, coal 91mm with new Lapua brass, 250g scenar, CCI mag primers and got an ES of 3 m/s over a 10 round string in an AI AXMC. I do occasionally shoot farther but 800m is more practical for me to do - a low ES makes for tighter groups at that distance.

One of the loads my mate tested chronied 3fps over 5 shots.100yds group wasn't brill but that may of been him.338 lap mag is a great calibre.pokey to shoot but nice.

I was quite surprised at my sd of 5.1 over 10 shots , twice fired lapua brass and cci mag primers .

I don't actually find the recoil bad at all on the Aw ...The noise is the loudest thing I've ever heard without the mod fitted 😬 

I've only ever used  es.sd seems to give you lower figures.how is it worked out...?

Er , its complicated! My magneto speed does the calcs automatically 

Probably best to do a quick search online for an easier explanation than what I could give you