FCSA leading the way!

ruger7717

I too have had a reply from my MP and a letter from Nick Hurd at the Home Office. It does not make for good reading!

They seem to think that the risk of a legally owned rifle falling into the hands of criminals is greater than the risk of one arriving in the UK by other means despite statistics clearly showing the opposite! 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Lets be honest there isn't much that can't be stolen.......doh

This whole thing stinks. 

Another conspiracy...........!

Time to emigrate and get out of this snake pitt of a country

Where would you go Swaro?

On 12/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, MrCetirizine said:

It's known as a great logical fallacy because it is never true. Never has been, never will be.

Show one case where a ban on one thing automatically lead to another then another. You can't because it hasn't happened. All the bans on firearms in this country have been unconnected. To think otherwise is both wrong and a little paranoid.

"They" doesn't exist. "The government" is not a singular creature with a will or agenda. Government is a collection of individuals with beliefs and ideas that can be influenced, changed and challenged with facts.

If there was a "they" in the way you suggest and they did want our firearms, they'd be gone already.

I'm not qualified to argue the philosophical toss about logical fallicies of one kind or another. However, it must be clear to readers here that a 'slippery slope' argument is by no means always fallacious.

If anyone had suggested in 1920 that the Firearms Act would be used to restrict FAC-holders what and where they could shoot with their firearms; to prohibit possession of conventional sporting bullets; to remove self-defence as a good reason to own a pistol..... the list goes on.... then such a person might have been accused of alarmist 'slippery-slope'-fallacy-peddling. 

However the idea seems now beyond rational argument; that the Home Office and Police, both of which really exist, keep trying (often successfully) to reduce the freedoms of lawful firearms users by means of legislation of one kind or another.

It is perhaps no coincidence that this paper includes the slippery clope in its title. http://www.libertarian.co.uk/lapubs/histn/histn043.htm

A brilliant analysis.......................thanks for posting, Dalua.

"Regarding the issue of the government's absolute sovereignty, the British government holds a tighter ideological grip over its subjects today than most British governments since 1689 ever dreamed of achieving."

Would a similar comment also apply to the EU "government" and its subjects, I wonder?

RePete

• 1 month later...

Fair play to my MP who made “representations” on my behalf, following my letter re .50 cals and MARS rifles.

However, I feel the response from the Minister of State for policing is indicative of the direction of the outcome of the consultation. I hope I am wrong....

A228300A-9A07-4791-9219-711894216340.jpeg

That's a standard response everyone would have got. I've got two of them here. A few words different in each one but essentially the same letter which doesn't answer any of the actual questions I put to them.

What would be quite useful is if anyone else here who has received a letter from Hurd could post a scan of it because I'm going to meet my MP sometime in the near future and confront him as to why we get the brush off like this. 

• 1 month later...

Archived