primer for RS 50 IN .308

buddy.223

LIke many others im trying to replicate my varget loads in 308- 155 bullets got RS50 to try in palma cases (like these for low es) using cci 450 s started working up a load @ 45.2g in .2 incs with predictable speed increases & low es to 45.8 where the speed stagnated and the es increased to the high 20 s up to 46.5  2865fps from a 29" kreiger is this the max i can expect from this combination well short of my 2920 45.7 varget load  -would a different primer make any difference in the palmer case?  ive been told br4 s will improve the velocity over the 450 s ?.              i tried standard lapua  cases & standard primers  and was able to get the  2900+ @ 46.2  es in the 20 s , not the single figs of varget thougth  so maybe this is the way to go?.

You don’t say which bullet you’re using or what the COAL length is.

In my 32” barrel  I use the SMK #2156 seated at 2.910” and Berger 155.5 seated at 2.930”. For both of these I get excellent results with 47.5 grains of RS50 (and even more). 

I also use the Australian HBC seated at 2.860” and use 47.0 grains of RS50. 

I suggest you’re loading a bit on the low side and that’s shut your MVs have levelled off.

There will be a test report on 15 x SR primer models in 308 Palma loads (167gn Scenar + Viht N150) in Target Shooter online magazine soon. (Parts 1 and 2, setting the scene are 'up'; part 3 giving results has been written and supplied but yet to be loaded online.)

So far as MVs go, there is very little difference between types, a mere 18 fps recorded on average values on a figure of just over 2,800 fps - much less than when LR primers were tested a couple or years earlier.

For ES and SD values, again, there was far less variation in performance. The 'winners' were: CBC Magtech 7 1/2 (as stocked and sold by Bradders on this forum and much cheaper than the US products); Murom Small Rifle 223 Rem (KVB-223M); the old PMC (Murom) very soft standard copper colour SR primer (KVB-223) - but in a follow-up cup 'hardness' test, (155.5gn Berger + IMR-8208XBR at full SAAMI peak pressures) a one (of 13 shots fired) 'blanked' despite the use of a Stolle Atlas FTR action; 2nd equal place Sellier & Bellot SR (another 'win' for the Czechs as the S&B LR model was the outstanding performer in the Large Rifle primer test).

Rem 7 1/2 BR and the Italian Fiocchi were just behind the Magtech, S&B, and two Russians in SD values.

But there were no poor performers. Rem 6 1/2, CCI-400 definitely (and Winchester WSR and Murom KVB-223 maybe) should be avoided though because of thin weak cups that lead to cratering and possible 'blanking'. 

These tests only tell you of course how one load in  one cartridge performs, but the message appears to be that for 308 Palma brass at any rate, there is not a great deal of difference in performance unlike say claims for the 6BR that THE primer is the CCI-450. (FWIW, I went straight to the Magtech with a newly built 6BR and haven't regretted the choice.)

The good news is that if you can find them, Murom, Fiocchi, Magtech, S&B are all MUCH cheaper than some of the US products. (Hannams Reloading's latest price list shows £92.50 / 1,000  for the CCI-BR4.)

thanks for the replies- the bullet is the 155 scenar loaded @ 2855 i stopped going any higher than  the 46,5 after seeing no speed increase for 0.7g  i will try going higher and got 2000 br4 today £130 to try to morrow no magtech or muron in this neck of the woods, but im looking forward to reading the  primer report, the 450 has been my go to primer in both the 308 & 6.5 x47 

went up to 47g with spikes in the  fps increase with an es in the 30 s with the cci 450 s, switched to the br4 s hitting 2900 fps with an es of 5 over the 5 shots @ 46g RS 50 .Reshot them again just to be sure opened a different box of 450 s swapping  magneto chronos with a friend, same excellent results with the br 4, the 450 s still poor? (were certainly going to be revisiting our 6mmbr & 47 450 loads). i had a couple of suggestions that the rs 52 might be better in the palma case ?  Brillo were you using palma or standard cases.              i shot a few rs 50 rounds with the .223 aswell again trying to find a hodgon replacement results were pretty good for the berger 70 vld to hit the 3000 fps i needed 25.7 es just in double figs as opposed to the 25.4 of varget fron a 26" krieger using fed golds

Archived