6.5mm varmint bullet recommendations

Dunc

I've just started loading for my Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5mm CM.  The first batch were assembled using a low dose of RS62 and SMK 142 gr bullets.  I was more than pleased with the results, even before I start to develop the ammo properly.

I may want to do some varminting with this rifle and ideally, would like to use a similar bullet or at least one with similar ballistics, although I'm seeing that most 'game designed' high BC bullets seem to cater for the larger game species, as one would expect with this calibre.  In advance of the lambing season, I'm mainly looking for something to deal with fox.  Some US forums/threads seem to be somewhat cavalier in what bullets they use and some don't seem to worry too much about a bullet passing through their quarry.

From 'desktop research', the most suitable bullet seems to be the V-Max 95 gr bullet.  Is there anything else with a higher BC that I should consider?  I've no problem with V-Max, although their BC is somewhat lower than the SMKs.  They certainly pack a devastating punch out of my .223 on fox.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

I use Sierra 120 pro hunters, a pal uses 100 g Amax and another uses siarra 100 g HP all are good & to be honest, you can work with the ' wind drift' aspect quite easily with a 6.5 creedmoor, as long as you know your ' dope'  then it's not too much issue & a good app would help you out with all of that.

I have a Sako 75 Hunter and a Sako 75 Varmint, both in 6,5x55. To hunt foxes, crows and magpie. The hunting range is about 150 m and 250 m max. I use Hornady V-max .264, 95 grs. only. 

The results are reliable and repeatable. Presission is, in my weapon`s about 20 mm/100 m with 980m/s

I recommend this bullet.

tømrer

I mainly use my .223 for foxing, but if I am out with my 6.5 for deer (140gr Nosler Partition), I carry a few rounds loaded with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip just in case. I also use those rounds if we are shooting fox in rape stubble. 

They are accurate and give definitive results and fly close enough to the deer rounds that I don't have to re-zero to use them. 

31 minutes ago, tømrer said:

I have a Sako 75 Hunter and a Sako 75 Varmint, both in 6,5x55. To hunt foxes, crows and magpie. The hunting range is about 150 m and 250 m max. I use Hornady V-max .264, 95 grs. only. 

The results are reliable and repeatable. Presission is, in my weapon`s about 20 mm/100 m with 980m/s

I recommend this bullet.

tømrer

Thanks tømrer, yes, I've been very impressed with .223 V-Max on fox and magpie.

25 minutes ago, Rabbitter said:

I mainly use my .223 for foxing, but if I am out with my 6.5 for deer (140gr Nosler Partition), I carry a few rounds loaded with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip just in case. I also use those rounds if we are shooting fox in rape stubble. 

They are accurate and give definitive results and fly close enough to the deer rounds that I don't have to re-zero to use them. 

Now if I can get away with a round that is similar in ballistics to my SMKs, that would be great.  Foxing range will be <100 yds for most and most <50 yds.  Although the capabilities of this calibre may allow me to stretch that somewhat further...

Well, obviously, I don't know how they will fly compared with the SMK, but I would suggest that you could tailor the load for any varminting bullet to have a similar POI to your deer round at those kind of distances.

I use Norma factory loads in my Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5 x 55mm. They use the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet:

306004.jpg

So far I've used them on roe, muntjac, CWD and foxes; about 15 animals total.

The results are...emphatic. Runners are - to put it mildly - not a problem.

Accuracy is ½ MOA.

Highly recommended.

maximus otter

You could alway note down the offset on the zero and then you won't have to faff about trying to tune an inferior load to match , 

l would rather have 2 great loads and a bit of homework on the range.

22 minutes ago, treetop said:

You could alway note down the offset on the zero and then you won't have to faff about trying to tune an inferior load to match , 

l would rather have 2 great loads and a bit of homework on the range.

Indeed.  That's what I intend to do.  The scope can handle dialing to change the zero no bother.  But if they are 'similar' in ballistics up to say 100  yds, so much the better.  In case I get attacked by a fox while on a deer mission....

David - How do you find the 143gr ELD-X's ?? I have loaded up 50 for my 6.5CM Dolphin custom rifles (which is 1/8 twist). Over a ladder test of RS62.  They get good reviews but I did see the thing about over penetration. Its unfortunate that the Blaser sporting profile is 1/10 - there is no chance that will stabilise a 143gr

Hob - accuracy wise. shooting a touching three shot "group" at 100 metres which for factory is good for me.  (I have 142 gn SMK handloads for one hole bragging rights).  Drop foxes on the spot in the Bergara with 143.  I am carefully getting to know the 6.5CM - love it !! - Very circumspect about opinions until I have proved kit myself. 

Archived