scope elevation issues

sam39

I would like some advice please,

I have mounted a few scopes in my time never had any issues but having one that dials is new to me ......... Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 ASV +. I have zeroed at 100M and set on the zero stop but only have 22 clicks up left before it runs out (it has 65 clicks for one complete turret revolution). This does not take full advantage of the ASV function but i think sticking with a reduced dialing range would be better than shimming my first decent scope ! may be shimming is ok as it is what a "Zeiss approved independent company" told me to do but i have seen some negative comments about doing this. 

The scope is mounted on a standard Howa 1500 with a picatinny rail and low mounts as the rail gives height it looks a perfect height on the rifle and to my eye.  

What should i do? any advice would be most welcome.

With thanks

Sam

These mounts can usually sort your problem...

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

"Each ring set includes one set of the +/- 0 MOA concentric inserts,  one set each of the  +/-5 MOA and +/-10 MOA, and two sets of the +/-20 MOA.  With these inserts, it is possible to make 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 40 MOA of cant in the scope mount. "

I have a new rail here that was supplied with my 223 Howa when I bought it,,,,,it does have the appearance of having a built in MOA dope but it has not. With the two 223 Howas that I have had ,,,one a mini action and the other a full size varmint model both when fitted with standard bases or rails used up nearly all the vertical on my scopes to get even a 100 yd zero. I bought 20 moa rails which sorted them both. Others may just lucky of course with Howa manufacture ,tolerances etc and may not have a problem getting a workable zero.Got my rails from Messrs Alan Rhone and are about £54 posted if I remember.....O

On 06/11/2017 at 8:44 PM, Moorlander said:

These mounts can usually sort your problem...

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

"Each ring set includes one set of the +/- 0 MOA concentric inserts,  one set each of the  +/-5 MOA and +/-10 MOA, and two sets of the +/-20 MOA.  With these inserts, it is possible to make 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 or 40 MOA of cant in the scope mount. "

I have a set of these for sale. Regards JCS

Hi sam , have you tried dialling it without zero stop ?? Only reason i say is because i use a zeiss HD5 with zero stop and it limited the turret to 1 complete turn '17 moa' so i took the stop out and it now dialls all the way .  OK I JUST RE READ 65 clicks per turn so probably not zero stop . It must need the 20moa as these helpful bunch have said ;) 

With the ASV turret you zero at 100 m and set the zero stop the idea being you dial up only and the 65 clicks for one full turn is plenty taking you out to 500/600 M. The rail would be the answer setting the scope higher letting me dial back down to zero then back up to the full range.

One full ill turn is 65clicks but the scope has more like 90 available by re setting turret.

If you only have 22 clicks left to go up with a 90 click scope, your mounts might be of different heights. Try to swop front to back. If that doesn't help your rail might be a few MOA off. Get a 20 MOA then.

Bore sighting is good enough to figure out what is wrong, no need to waste ammo until sorted.

edi  

Thanks chaps. Yes am using my bore sighter. I can dial out to 360M which for now will probably do. Just wanted to check I was not missing a point. Mounts are should be the same as new out of the packet but I will measure and double check

8 hours ago, ejg223 said:

If you only have 22 clicks left to go up with a 90 click scope, your mounts might be of different heights. Try to swop front to back. If that doesn't help your rail might be a few MOA off. Get a 20 MOA then.

Bore sighting is good enough to figure out what is wrong, no need to waste ammo until sorted.

edi 

Edi the Howa requires different height bases front and rear or a rail with this machined into it as the action is higher at the front than at the back so a swop around wont work,,,screw holes are also spaced differently!,,,,,,O

2 minutes ago, onehole said:

Edi the Howa requires different height bases front and rear or a rail with this machined into it as the action is higher at the front than at the back so a swop around wont work,,,screw holes are also spaced differently!,,,,,,O

Yes I understand, but if you have a pica rail on the rifle the ring mounts are the same front and back. Sometimes these mounts have differing heights.

edi

8 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Yes I understand, but if you have a pica rail on the rifle the ring mounts are the same front and back. Sometimes these mounts have differing heights.

edi

Forgive me!!! doh yes of course,,,missed you were talking ring mounts Edi and I was on about bases,,,,sorry mate ,,,,,,,O

No worries, 

Had a few cases of Optiloks on Sakos and T3's that had differing heights . Up to 0.5mm out. Millets out by 0.3mm Chinese mounts I measured seemed very accurate height wise. Not all barrels are fitted straight in the receiver giving further issues. My rifles I bore sight and check right away how much travel I have before firing a shot.

edi

Archived