Does anyone polish the inside of the case neck when reloading?

chaz

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is a dim question...

I had to pull a few bullets yesterday, and noticed some scuffing on the copper of the bullet jacket. But not to the degree that i could feel it when dragging my finger nail over it. 

I appreciate there will obviously be marks when the bullet is seated and held in place by neck tension, but is there a limit where scuffing could affect accuracy, and an inside neck polish would be worth the effort?

It's a 6.5CM caliber, the bullets are Lapua Scenar 140's, and the brass is new Lapua. I'm thinking human error are more likely to affect accuracy than the scuff marks, but I thought i'd put it out there for UKV members more experienced than me, to give me some constructive opinions.

Just to add, as I know small imperfections make more of a difference at longer ranges, i thought i'd add that i mean to use the rifle out to around 800 yards or so some times.

Cheers

Chaz.

Chaz,I expect any  effects to be minor-there will be a thin layer of mainly carbon on inside neck-but fairly  consistent;new brass will be clean (as will sonic.steel tumbled used brass...again cconsistent. The neck tension will probably differ between carboned and clean,though it's again likely a small transition-probably finer than a bushing change....but clean every time would be most consistent...aka new brass...but it's not high up on the 'willmake a noticeable' improvemnt/not list  at 800y (thats also true of many reloading niceties-ssome of which accumulate,others cancel out...but which are which...??   :-)

Could be due to some brass shavings left over in the case neck after trimming & chamfering. Any little shavings or possible nicks/burrs left in the neck will cause 'scoring' of the bullet jacket.

My OCD process is to trim, chamfer and run a nylon brush through the neck, then tip the case upside down onto its neck and give it a couple of tapps on the table just to dislodge any shavings. Surprising what comes out tbh!

i do this for new and fired cases alike. I still tumble cases in walnut media as I feel a carbon layer provides lubricity for bullets leaving the neck. But I still use the nylon brush to dislodge any 'scratchy' carbon particles.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

Could be due to some brass shavings left over in the case neck after trimming & chamfering. Any little shavings or possible nicks/burrs left in the neck will cause 'scoring' of the bullet jacket.

My OCD process is to trim, chamfer and run a nylon brush through the neck, then tip the case upside down onto its neck and give it a couple of tapps on the table just to dislodge any shavings. Surprising what comes out tbh!

C22, I do the same as you described above. No bits dropping out of the cases though. But I did find something out. The little RCBS "Rocket" type inner and outer champfering tool is leaving fine chattering marks. May be the way i'm doing it, as it hasn't had that much use. (Cough)... Being a tad sad, I always look closely at my brass, but clearly not on this occasion... When i looked at the case mouths using my little l.e.d jewellers eye glass, i could see some chatter marks. Yet a spin on a scouring pad removed most of it. I'm going to seat a few, pull them, and see what the difference is. Just for my own info... Granted, a little sad, and will probably make no difference to the accuracy, which is already very good, thankfully. I should have used my Forster 3 in 1 trimmer and champfer tool. But being a 'tool' myself i used the little RCBS 'Rocket' so i could watch TV while champfering. Live and learn springs to mind....:rolleyes:

I like to sit and plait my rectal hairs when i,ve a minute to spare....

Ever wondered what happens to the minute scourings caused by this, on the bullet....when you launch it down a steel tube at 60,000psi and 3000fps ?

1 hour ago, baldie said:

I like to sit and plait my rectal hairs when i,ve a minute to spare....

Ever wondered what happens to the minute scourings caused by this, on the bullet....when you launch it down a steel tube at 60,000psi and 3000fps ?

No, and whats more, i have no interest in your answer. 

just get a  bore mop of your calibre, screw it on your loading table, then put your case kneck down and clean it . ps just tried plaiting my bum hair, ouch, it hurts but managed to tie a nice bow in it.  lol that was funny baldie

A few simple answers to your conundrums.

1. Put the VLD chamfer tool in a cordless, and use it under power...you won't get the chatter marks then.

2. Tumble your cases AFTER case prep. It will remove any minute burrs and also brass shavings.

3. If you want the smoothest transition twixt bullet and neck, get a motor mica case neck kit. It comprises of a set of mounted brushes, and some funny white powder. Its a dry lube. This makes them as smooth as silk.

Dont try snorting it, off a Whore's thighs though....it doesn't work like coke.

Allegedly...:lol:

17 hours ago, dave thorniley said:

just get a  bore mop of your calibre, screw it on your loading table, then put your case kneck down and clean it . ps just tried plaiting my bum hair, ouch, it hurts but managed to tie a nice bow in it.  lol that was funny baldie

I would imagine baldie can knit a knotted tie with that amount of butt hair. A double knot too!

I use a biggish bronze brush that fits on my 30 cal bisley cleaning rod I use for cleaning in neck area of the chamber.when they flatten some I use it in my cordless drill and spin it inside  the necks going in and out.cleans them up proper 

5 hours ago, dave thorniley said:

yep baldie comes up with some goodies, but jeez he knows is stuff.

Having read baldie's second more grown up post, which was very helpful. I've changed my post and will look into it. Thank-you. 

As Baldie suggests, always a good idea to tumble or U/S clean brass after prep.

I tumble, anneal, size, trim to length, chamfer and lightly spin a bronze brush inside the case necks to remove any debris and also to try and consistently clean up the necks.  The brass then goes into an U/S bath for 20 minutes, or I tumble it if I have a lot to do.

I haven't tried platting rectal hairs but bet there's a reloading tool sold for that as well!  (probably comes free with competition die sets)

On 11/10/2017 at 1:28 PM, VarmLR said:

As Baldie suggests, always a good idea to tumble or U/S clean brass after prep.

I tumble, anneal, size, trim to length, chamfer and lightly spin a bronze brush inside the case necks to remove any debris and also to try and consistently clean up the necks.  The brass then goes into an U/S bath for 20 minutes, or I tumble it if I have a lot to do.

I haven't tried platting rectal hairs but bet there's a reloading tool sold for that as well!  (probably comes free with competition die sets)

I heard he can platt his ring tail hair within a thou of an inch long! Although being curly butt hair concentricity suffers.

Archived