shehane or 284W

Cienfuegos

La pregunta del millón de dólares ...

¿Cuánta velocidad puedo obtener en un 284W / Shehane con un barril de solo 28 "¿Podría llegar al nodo 2850?

Gracias amigos.

Perdón... con Scenar 185?

On 31/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, triggersqueezer said:

es bastante fácil obtener 2900+ con rs60 en un barril de 30 ", así que apuesto a que podrías.

Gracias. 

You have to bear in mind that whilst RS60 offers great velocities if you take the speed on offer you will also be taking significantly reduced barrel life. It is a great powder but burns hot - you get nothing for free!

But we only have one life ... to enjoy.
I know thanks. Now in my 6.5x47 I use RS52 and also spends barrel, but also wins competitions ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2017 at 7:41 AM, Cienfuegos said:

The million dollar question...

How much speed can I get in a 284W / Shehane with a barrel of only 28 "Could I get to the 2850 node?

Thanks friends.

You can get nearly 2900fps with rs60 from a 26 inch barrel with 52grs in my rifle.52.5grs gave 2915fps.just a tad warm though.bloody accurate on both loads.its a shame about the talk of its hard on barrels.i use n165 now at 100fps slower.there is so little gain even at 1000yds.

I look for the node of 2850 with scenar 180. I want precision and little consumption of barrel.

And I want to put a straight barrel of 1,250 from start to finish in 28 or 30 inches for that speed ...

Without losing weight ... now I have 1.1 kilo of telescope and rings.

Perdón por mi inglés, soy español. 

Is the n165 still ok with a 26inch barrel? I would have thought as it's slower burning it'd be better suited to 30 inch barrels. Not that I've tried it. If it is ok then great as I have a tub I  haven't opened. It'll be worth giving it a go. I feel I've still got a bit of load development to do with my new 284 as it hasn't been as tight as I was expecting yet.

This business about choose a slow burning powder for a long barrel and a fast burner for the same cartridge in a short one is one of these hoary old shooting myths that somehow never die, but are often very misleading. Providing we're not talking about extreme (shorty) barrel lengths, and providing the powder is well matched ballistically to the calibre / bullet weight / combustion chamber volume combination, there is usually no benefit in trying to match powder burning rate to barrel length. In fact there could be disbenefits in adopting a faster burning powder which increases peak chamber pressure to the point that loads and MVs are significantly reduced.

FWIW, QuickLOAD says that the 284 with a 180gn Berger VLD at 3.200" COAL (optimum for the bullet in the case) and 57gn N165 sees the 100% charge burn point at 26.1 inches of bullet travel. Computed charge burn in a 26-inch barrel is 99.98%

Even moving up to the 7mm RSAUM and its considerably larger case, 61.5gn N165 at equivalent pressures is all burned according to the model at 22.8" travel. Charge burn in a 26-inch barrel is therefore 100%

(These distances are for bullet travel, so the case length has to be added to them. Although not a computed 100% burn in a 26-inch barrel for the 284, 99.98% is such that - if accurate - I'd happily live with it.)

Sticking to the 284 in QuickLOAD, 52.2gn H4350 (not a silly choice by any means and this powder is popular in US competition circles especially as H4350 is outstandingly temperature tolerant / consistent and this is a major factor for many Americans). It allegedly  produces the same (near max) chamber pressure and slightly lower MVs, but actually marginally reduces the charge burn % figure needing 24.6" actual bullet travel.

Going one step faster burning still, H. VarGet is computed to see 100% charge burn at 13.9" bullet travel, ie all burned in a 16-inch barrel. It does see the MV at peak pressure drop by ~60 fps. It might therefore suit somebody who wants a 284 Win deer rifle with a 20-inch or shorter barrel. (But then again, it might be a very poor performing load in practice .... who know?) 

These are all QuickLOAD simulations and can only be treated as indicative of performance. (Do NOT use these charge weights without serious cross-checking against other sources and also applying the usual working up procedures from starting loads reduced by 10-15%.)

I'e tried 57grs of n165 behind the 180gr hybrid.not sure my oal was 3.200 though.must of been close.i do measure the oal and record it but I go by the comparator measurement.the 180gr  scenars Seat real deep.if you had it throated for the 180gr scenars the hybrid would barely sit inside the neck.some throat wear would then see the hybrids having to jump to far.they like from 15 to 25 off in the 7mms I've had.they shoot amazingly but they are bloody expensive now.

1 in 9 bartlein.

Everything I tested in my 284 shot superbly.56.5 to 56.7grs of N165. I did try 57grs but no real gain so I run on 56.5grs now.180gr hybrids go about 2815fps.

57.5grs launches the 162gr amax about 2875fps I think.i have it written down but not at hand

70/5000

Projectile weight 180? or lower ... Advantages or disadvantages. Thank you.

12 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

70/5000

Projectile weight 180? or lower ... Advantages or disadvantages. Thank you.

The only way to know for sure is to test  them.162s are softer to shoot than the 180s

Archived