New laws on expanding ammo

Hobbit

Hello

I wanted to get some specific advice about the recent law changes regarding expanding ammo (I will need to be precise here in my language to differentiate between expanding bullet heads and loaded rounds)

I understand that you are now able to buy expanding bullet heads online and in shops without your FAC - Indeed I have purchased some Hornady ELD-X (bullet HEADS) in 6.5mm and 308

I have an FAC and a range of rifles of 22, 223, 6.5CM and 308 approved for target use but not stalking and appropriate quantities of ammo linked to them. FWIIW I am an NRA and BASC member. I have just completed a beginners stalking course and am joining a club to learn and be safe. - I am now planning to get a variation on my FAC to allow the use of the 308 and 6.5CM for stalking in appropriate locations.

In advance of this I WAS planning to make up a ladder test (rising charge load) of both 308 and 6.5CM ammo with the expanding bullets heads to test at 100 yards to find the accuracy nodes for these bullet heads in my rifle - I hasten to add - To be clear I have NOT done this yet.

Then it struck me - a person is allowed to buy cases, ordinary bullet heads, primers and even propellant without an FAC - but assemble a full round without an FAC and this is an offence

Does the new law change just allow purchase of expanding bullet heads and do you STILL need a SPECIFIC variation to hold assembled expanding ammo or is now all ammo - expanding and non expanding treated the same ad you just need permission to hold that quantity of that calibre of ammo on your FAC

Again I am not planning to make up any ammo until I am absolutely sure here

as you were being precise,the head is where the primer is,ie the base of the case, the projectile is called a bullet and a loaded round is a cartridge.your allowance allows you to have/keep a set amount of loaded rounds/cartridges, either fmj or expanding. do not exceed your limit.you can how ever have as many bullets you desire in fmj or expanding as nothing counts towards your limit until they become loaded rounds/cartridges ie case,primer,powder and bullet complete.hope this helps. no more use of heads as the bullet please.  the police no longer say expanding missiles/bullets as they are now all classed the same, you just have a set allowance for loaded/complete rounds/cartridges.you can load and shoot perfectly legally as long as you have permission for the caliber you are  loading/shooting.

Banus

Thanks - on terminology and on main question

For the avoidance of doubt -  I can now make up and use expanding ammunition - cartridges with expanding bullets as you say as part of my allowance as per the amounts and usage restrictions on my FAC?

Archived