CSR equipment

geek

Dear all,

I am going to watch a CSR (and possibly mini rifle) completion next month at my local club with the intention of competing next year and I would be interested in what equipment you use for carrying magazines (both full and empty) also, do you use a sling for CSR?

Any pictures much appreciated.

Spooky... I was about to ask similar questions myself!

I'm booked on the CSR Skills Course at Bisley so I'll be making a list of 'stupid' questions to ask on that, and taking notes! If chest rigs are frowned upon, I'm guessing a belt pouch for mags would be ok?

Nothing worse than mags rattling around, it'd have been classed as 'slack drills' when I was in green... :D

Gents, you don't require pouches on any stage other than the 100~25 Urban Contact Match where you will be carrying 3 magazines after the first stage.

In the past when I have shot it I have used a double PLCE pouch (other more ally brands are available!) which then doubles as a flask & food holder in the butts. 

Charged magazines can be carried in normal rifle/drag bag. Remember, this is CIVILIAN Service Rifle, not fu&%ing selection! 

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Gents, you don't require pouches on any stage other than the 100~25 Urban Contact Match where you will be carrying 3 magazines after the first stage.

In the past when I have shot it I have used a double PLCE pouch (other more ally brands are available!) which then doubles as a flask & food holder in the butts. 

Charged magazines can be carried in normal rifle/drag bag. Remember, this is CIVILIAN Service Rifle, not fu&%ing selection! 

That's fair enough, and anything that can double up to carry a brew is all good...

I certainly didn't think chest rigs would be required (and glad they're not) but the Urban match is of particular interest so I'll likely buy a pouch for the belt, probably after I've done the skills course next month.

Cheers B)

39 minutes ago, Hellequin said:

That's fair enough, and anything that can double up to carry a brew is all good...

I certainly didn't think chest rigs would be required (and glad they're not) but the Urban match is of particular interest so I'll likely buy a pouch for the belt, probably after I've done the skills course next month.

Cheers B)

Easiest in the Urban match is to get your supervisor to carry the 3 mags for you.....

5 hours ago, Dunc said:

Easiest in the Urban match is to get your supervisor to carry the 3 mags for you.....

I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to ask someone to carry my mags for me... I'd rather have them rattling in pockets :lol:

The most important thing is not the mag pouches (which only get used about 3-4 times a year) but actually turning up and taking part, something which we have been repeatedly trying to encourage on this site for the last 5 years or so....mostly to no avail

The next match is next week on Sat 4th Nov, and we have 90 (non UKV) entries already

4 hours ago, bradders said:

The most important thing is not the mag pouches (which only get used about 3-4 times a year) but actually turning up and taking part, something which we have been repeatedly trying to encourage on this site for the last 5 years or so....mostly to no avail

The next match is next week on Sat 4th Nov, and we have 90 (non UKV) entries already

I will be getting involved Bradders, however after years of having a private permission for fox/muntjac/bunnies etc., I'm personally only just starting with club/range shooting. I still need my SCC but unfortunately the club I'm with only run a course twice a year, next one being Feb/March 2018.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to doing the CSR Skills course at Bisley next month. I can't get the SCC through that as I'm not yet a NRA member (that's something I'll be addressing too) but when I spoke to them on the phone I was told that I could be issued a 'certificate of competence' which my club might be willing to accept as proof that I'm safe enough for the SCC... I live in hope! :D

11 minutes ago, Hellequin said:

I will be getting involved Bradders, however after years of having a private permission for fox/muntjac/bunnies etc., I'm personally only just starting with club/range shooting. I still need my SCC but unfortunately the club I'm with only run a course twice a year, next one being Feb/March 2018.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to doing the CSR Skills course at Bisley next month. I can't get the SCC through that as I'm not yet a NRA member (that's something I'll be addressing too) but when I spoke to them on the phone I was told that I could be issued a 'certificate of competence' which my club might be willing to accept as proof that I'm safe enough for the SCC... I live in hope! :D

Is your club KLSM?

19 minutes ago, bradders said:

Is your club KLSM?

Yes it is. I can use my .22LR on the indoor range but (at the moment) can't use my .308 at STANTA/Thetford due to not having the SCC.

Not wanting to hijack, but I think the people answering this thread will be the ones in the know.  What type of comp (if any) can be shot using a sporting scoped bolt action with 2x 5shot mags.  I've looked at falling plate, not in any club and all my CF rifles (.22/250, 6.5x55, .308) are for vermin/deer but have open condition and zero/practice

7 minutes ago, Akeld said:

Not wanting to hijack, but I think the people answering this thread will be the ones in the know.  What type of comp (if any) can be shot using a sporting scoped bolt action with 2x 5shot mags.  I've looked at falling plate, not in any club and all my CF rifles (.22/250, 6.5x55, .308) are for vermin/deer but have open condition and zero/practice

You can't do any until you get the condition for Target Shooting on it, that will most likely mean joining a club

Zeroing and practise are not Target Shooting conditions, and as you probably don't have a SCC then you can't shoot on any MoD controlled ranges anyway

1 minute ago, bradders said:

You can't do any until you get the condition for Target Shooting on it, that will most likely mean joining a club

Zeroing and practise are not Target Shooting conditions, and as you probably don't have a SCC then you can't shoot on any MoD controlled ranges anyway

Thank you

14 hours ago, Hellequin said:

Yes it is. I can use my .22LR on the indoor range but (at the moment) can't use my .308 at STANTA/Thetford due to not having the SCC.

Bit off topic but I find this strange, you should be able to shoot if 'supervised' until they get round to sorting your SSC?

Terry

4 hours ago, terryh said:

Bit off topic but I find this strange, you should be able to shoot if 'supervised' until they get round to sorting your SSC?

Terry

They're simple countryfolk up there in Norfolk, how they choose to implement their system is up to them

Mark,

Concur on how they run things is up to them, but only allowing probationers twice a year seems strange, but I am 'strange' in wanting to encourage shooters to shoot and into our sport (hold the bus - is that not what you say ? :) )

T

apologies - too far off thread

3 hours ago, terryh said:

Mark,

Concur on how they run things is up to them, but only allowing probationers twice a year seems strange, but I am 'strange' in wanting to encourage shooters to shoot and into our sport (hold the bus - is that not what you say ? :) )

T

apologies - too far off thread

I'm not a probationary club member. Due to the fact I'd held my FAC almost ten years (it's 'open' with both .22LR & .308) prior to joining KLSM I was allowed to join without serving a probationary period. I've been told that I still can't shoot fullbore on the MOD ranges without the SCC though.

It is frustrating that they have only 2 SCC courses per year, however the delay for me personally is partly my own fault; I missed the last course through work commitments. Plus, if I was already an NRA member I could get the SCC as part of the CSR course. I will be joining but unfortunately my FAC is away for variation at the mo so have to await it's return.

Apologies from me also, for going off thread a bit!

Helkiquin

you missed my point, a probationer can shoot without a SSC if supervised (otherwise they can never gain the experience required fo their SSC!) so there is no reason that you cannot shoot without a SSC if supervised.

if your club cannot sort this then IMHO go find a different club!

t

3 hours ago, terryh said:

Helkiquin

you missed my point, a probationer can shoot without a SSC if supervised (otherwise they can never gain the experience required fo their SSC!) so there is no reason that you cannot shoot without a SSC if supervised.

if your club cannot sort this then IMHO go find a different club!

t

Ah sorry Terry, I see what you mean now. Clubs are not easy to come by locally in Norfolk. There's Grove but when I enquired they seemed to be just as strict regarding SCC, but with no regular 'home' range even if it is only a 25yd indoor gallery.

To be honest, now I can spare a bit more time for shooting it shouldn't be long until I can get it sorted so I'll persevere, plus I think a few KLSM members visit Bisley fairly regularly so it'd be good if folk lift share for it...

I completely appreciate the need for SCC, although as said it is a little frustrating waiting, especially as I spent so many years shooting MOD ranges in a previous life ;)

22 minutes ago, Hellequin said:

Ah sorry Terry, I see what you mean now. Clubs are not easy to come by locally in Norfolk. There's Grove but when I enquired they seemed to be just as strict regarding SCC, but with no regular 'home' range even if it is only a 25yd indoor gallery.

To be honest, now I can spare a bit more time for shooting it shouldn't be long until I can get it sorted so I'll persevere, plus I think a few KLSM members visit Bisley fairly regularly so it'd be good if folk lift share for it...

I completely appreciate the need for SCC, although as said it is a little frustrating waiting, especially as I spent so many years shooting MOD ranges in a previous life ;)

And you had to do an APWT, did you not?

Join the NRA and get one of theirs, it's valid for longer anyway

Archived