Varminting in Australia

Stevyrob

I couldn't see and intro section but It is good to see a UK version of what we do a bit of in Australia. Always keen to see how it is done in different parts of the world and see what gear you are using. We probably hunt in vastly different environments but the objective is the same. Thanks for letting me join in and very keen to have a read through some of the threads.

This video will give you a bit of an idea of how we try and eliminate our rabbit issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABzmzkW20XE

Welcome on board.

From all of the massively-destructive body shots, I'm assuming that rabbit isn't commonly eaten in Oz?

By the way, most UK wind calls would consist of: "Three miles per hour from 2 o'clock, half value: Give it 1.2 mils", and not: "I'll aim at 'is arse!"

:lol:

maximus otter

9 hours ago, maximus otter said:

Welcome on board.

From all of the massively-destructive body shots, I'm assuming that rabbit isn't commonly eaten in Oz?

By the way, most UK wind calls would consist of: "Three miles per hour from 2 o'clock, half value: Give it 1.2 mils", and not: "I'll aim at 'is arse!"

:lol:

maximus otter

If we want to keep them we usually just use the .22's or the .17 but for most they are an introduced species that needs eradication. Temperatures out here don't tend to allow us to keep too many especially when we are away for over a week. As far as holdovers we keep it simple..............

6 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

What calibres are you shooting in the youtube production?

In Australia the 243 often gets called the “Pope” as it can perform miracles. So to answer your question  we were using 222’s, 223’s and the 243.

I built my 243 with the thumbhole stock. Barrel is just under 30” shooting 87gr Vmax at around 3350fps.

19 minutes ago, Stevyrob said:

I built my 243 with the thumbhole stock. Barrel is just under 30” shooting 87gr Vmax at around 3350fps.

Zipping along nicely, explains some of the explosions. Nice 'work' if you can get it! 

What part of OZ is that? It looks like NSW to me.

Driving up the M1 from NSW, as you cross into Qld, there's a sign on the bMotorway that says anyone keeping a wild rabbit can face fines up to $25,000Aus

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 10:07 AM, Montey said:

Good to see some varminting on here again thanks for posting

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:11 AM, trucraft said:

Welcome and good to see you on the forum.

Been enjoying your YouTube for a while now, particularly your samba hunts. 

Cheers mate. Glad you like our videos.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:03 AM, ruger7717 said:

Fantastic footage!...that's exactly what ive been looking for in a forum!...been lurking for years:-))

You're too kind but thanks.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:13 AM, Alycidon said:

Superb photography,  lovely wood on the stainless Cooper,  thanks for sharing.

A

Thankyou very much mate. My .243 is not a "Cooper". I built that rifle myself based on a Sako L579 action, Australian Maddco barrel and trigger. It shoots the 87gr Vmax at around 3350fps, groups around 1/4MOA and hits bunnies pretty hard. LOL. The Timber stock I hand carved myself from a piece of African Walnut.

Looks like a FLAT version of New Zealand , awesome vid , and we have a similar prblem with rabbits being out of control in numbers .

Had rabbit Adobo ( stew ) last week , very tasty , like most wild game , its a very lean meat .

Later Chris

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Looks like a FLAT version of New Zealand , awesome vid , and we have a similar prblem with rabbits being out of control in numbers .

Had rabbit Adobo ( stew ) last week , very tasty , like most wild game , its a very lean meat .

Later Chris

Yeah, your hills are scary. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, Stevyrob said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

Cheers mate. Glad you like our videos.

You're too kind but thanks.

Thankyou very much mate. My .243 is not a "Cooper". I built that rifle myself based on a Sako L579 action, Australian Maddco barrel and trigger. It shoots the 87gr Vmax at around 3350fps, groups around 1/4MOA and hits bunnies pretty hard. LOL. The Timber stock I hand carved myself from a piece of African Walnut.

I take my hat off to you, lovely work.

A

Its also nice to see you have something to shoot at,    where I am in the Middle of the UK we have pretty big areas with no decernable rabbit population.   The introduction of Viral Hemmorging Disease and now Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHD-2)   has just about wiped them out.    I drive for three or four hours most evenings and nights within about 50 miles and almost never see a rabbit.    In the late 1980s I have shot 75 from a small 15 acre block and could easily kill 100 in a a few hours under a lamp.    These days seeing half a dozen in one heap makes my day.

A

Archived