CCTV

Dellboy

the police will not except cctv footage if it shows ANY public access,footpath roads other peoples drives/property.also you must have warning signs on your property advising that cctv is in use.i know because we had our front windows smashed by yobs and they were all filmed by cctv.when tvp were called they took all the copies and they were shown in court but because of a footpath and neighbours drive on the images the judges view was that it was unaddmisable as evidence and could not be used.just double check it can be used if needed or it becomes an expensive toy.

the police will no except cctv footage if it shows ANY public access,footpath roads other peoples drives/property.also you must have warning signs on your property advising that cctv is in use.i know because we had our front windows smashed by yobs and they were all filmed by cctv.when tvp were called they took all the copies and they were shown in court but because of a footpath and neighbours drive on the images the judges view was that it was unaddmisable as evidence and could not be used.just double check it can be used if needed or it becomes an expensive toy.

So where does that leave dashcams in terms of admissibility ?

the police will not except cctv footage if it shows ANY public access,footpath roads other peoples drives/property.also you must have warning signs on your property advising that cctv is in use.i know because we had our front windows smashed by yobs and they were all filmed by cctv.when tvp were called they took all the copies and they were shown in court but because of a footpath and neighbours drive on the images the judges view was that it was unaddmisable as evidence and could not be used.just double check it can be used if needed or it becomes an expensive toy.

Even on TV programs like crimewatch cctv footage shows public places, and all the cameras dotted around our towns and city centres show public places and are often used in court!? Not sure why they wouldn't accept your footage?

because i live in my own home and not a business or law enforcing contractor,ie i have no rights to monitor public areas.my case was 10 years ago so things may have changed.dont want to find out again.

If your cameras point at any public place then you must display a sign stating that CCTV is in use and you must comply with the data protection act. So if people request your footage because they walked past where it filmed, you must provide it.

The only reason the footage would not be admissible is if no sign was displayed.

If your cameras only view your property then no sign is required.

Dashcams are technically covered by the same legislation but are often exempted.

just for information the cctv fitted at my home was installed by tv police following several incidents and they put the evidence forward and it was turned down by the judge in oxford crown court. no reason given other than it showed a footpath and drive.no signs were put up because the police wanted to film the yobs so they could prosecute. they have not

We used ADT and they charge around £20 a month maintenance /warranty. yearly inspections and replacement of any faulty equipment included. 

So far they have been very good. The engineer was brilliant ( 2 days job! ) but he worked with me to make sure ALL the perimeter was covered, with him walking around and me calling him to tell him where to move to adjust/ add cameras. 

Probably very expensive, but I am happy with what I got.

A local alarm company installed mine (they also maintain my alarm system), I installed the power supply and HDMI cable (already had TV monitor) and they supplied the head end and wired two cameras, cost was circa £600 and additional cameras are £150 wired and installed. I can watch the footage on my mobile and the alarm system calls my mobile (then others, if mine is not answered).

In my opinion a very worthwhile investment.

Archived