Bullet lengths for 7mm (.284) Sierra and Lapua

happyshooting

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has any bullet length information on a couple of 7mm bullets for me. I am interested in 2 potential bullets:

Sierra Tipped MatchKing 7mm 160 Grain (Polymer Tip)

Lapua Scenar-L 7mm 150Grn HPBT

I am trying to work out the bullet stability at a 1 in 9 twist rate, but very few manufacturers list the length.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi might be advisable to look up gun pimp or Laurie Holland, these people might be able to help.

You could make a dummy round up and then get OAL for each bullet weight .

Chap called gbal is another helpful person,

Cheers Nick

The 150gn 7mm Scenar L is 1.34-inch give or take 10 thou'. Yes, it'll stabilise happily in a 9-twist barrel. Miller's twist rule calculates an Sg of 1.79 under standard conditions at 2,850 fps - which just happens to be what my mild 7mm-08 200/300 yard load gives it.

Take note though that by 7mm bullet standards, this design is very high drag / low BC, so it's a pretty piss poor choice for F-Class and similar even in mid-range matches. It is very well made and easy to tune, and I've had very good results with it at 300 yards. For 500/600 and beyond though I use the 160gn Sierra TMK in the 7-08 and yes, it stabilises happily too in a 9-twist barrel.

The 150gn 7mm Scenar L is 1.34-inch give or take 10 thou'. Yes, it'll stabilise happily in a 9-twist barrel. Miller's twist rule calculates an Sg of 1.79 under standard conditions at 2,850 fps - which just happens to be what my mild 7mm-08 200/300 yard load gives it.

Take note though that by 7mm bullet standards, this design is very high drag / low BC, so it's a pretty piss poor choice for F-Class and similar even in mid-range matches. It is very well made and easy to tune, and I've had very good results with it at 300 yards. For 500/600 and beyond though I use the 160gn Sierra TMK in the 7-08 and yes, it stabilises happily too in a 9-twist barrel.

Thanks for that info Laurie. That's really helpful. I was favouring the Sierra, so I will probably go with those. Many thanks! Chris

Archived