Silverstone Shooting Centre

skull hooker

I spent the afternoon at SSC earlier. I was impressed, the facilities are very good and John seems like a nice chap.

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to make good use of the silver membership during the week, so the cost for me is very reasonable. These days membership of anything seems to cost 50 quid a month anyway!

Obviously if you cant use the range the 3 days its open during the week then it will look less attractive but unfortunately the facility is governed by planning restrictions.

I have free time during the week, don't fire anything unmoderated and have other stuff to do at the weekends anyway so SSC is a good fit - it wont be for others.

I was contemplating joining SSC as its on my doorstep but apart from the price structure ( even bronze membership is expensive when you consider you might want to spend 5-6 hours on the range) the "Only Moderated" rifles rule was the killer for me, absolutely no point being a member of a range where i cant shoot my unmoderated rifles.

Ian.

Hope im not repeating a thread here. I have searched and cant find anything

I have been following the progress of the above centre for a few months, which recently opened. its close to me and was looking forward to having controlled conditions for load development close by.

They recently announced their opening times, three days during the week and one weekend day a month.

They are 100m stands with a camera at one end on the target so you don't have to move your butt to see how your doing.

From what I can gather they are licensed up to .308cal.

They seem to be relying on the fact that they have cameras to justify their pricing structure as follows

Full membership £650/annum plus £50 joining fee (what exactly IS that for)

Daily walk in rate fee £175/day

What a total and utter disappointment. An opportunity wasted. Its not often that new shooting ranges open, but to be opened by a set of dyed in the wool robbers is criminal. They've probably bolloxed any chance of anyone else opening a reasonably priced range in the area as any other applications would be refused based on the mere presence of this money printing organisation. Their appears to be a lot of bad feeling about it on their facebook page as they have popped a lot of dream bubbles for local shooters.

Nice to see the ugly face of monopoly isn't dead

Living about 10 miles from Silverstone we have NOTHING range wise within a couple of hours, Bisley is 3 hours, Diggle 4, Minsterly 2 plus, there is one north of Birmingham, (Kingsbury), been once with the cadets as a driver seems tied up with small clubs from all over that place. So I feel there is a demand locally for such service but not at that price. Getting clearance for such a project must be difficult with noise issues ( thats probably why its 3 days a week only) and safety issues. A friend owns a clay shooting ground locally and he is very restricted as to when he can shoot and he sits right beside the M45. Many years ( 40+) ago an Army range near me was closed when a spent 7.62/303/5.56 bullet was found on the M1 carriageway a mile or so behind the butts. The firing point was way above the butts so god knows how it got there but that range has been closed ever since.

A

Being only 5 miles from where I live Silverstone was a no brainer, however £650 was out of my price bracket. The bronze membership was a different matter, the joining fee has been bined, so I'm looking at 16 quid and change a month, and quite frankly a tenner for an hour seems fine to me, to be honest I couldn't afford the ammunition to shoot any longer. A trip to Bisley with fuel and range fees is going to cost me about 60 quid and a full day, Silverstone will cost me 26 quid and I can be home before the boss has chance to miss me . So to sum up if you don't like it don't go, if you can do better please do and we can all enjoy the fruit of your Labour.

• 3 weeks later...

The prices seem very good, especially for the cost of the whole 6 lanes. I am still a bit confused as to how the design of the ranges makes them an effective 'no danger area' option but I may not be getting the full picture of this. I am sure the NRA will have sorted it out.

8 hours ago, Safeshot said:

The prices seem very good, especially for the cost of the whole 6 lanes. I am still a bit confused as to how the design of the ranges makes them an effective 'no danger area' option but I may not be getting the full picture of this. I am sure the NRA will have sorted it out.

Indeed the new pricing structure is exceptional really; considering the overheads and facilities on offer.   Anyone setting up a new range, especially with such great facilities, must be commended!

Although I too find the design intriguing - on initial appearance it does not seem to sit even remotely close to 403 or similar.  If the NRA have indeed changed their ballistic requirements/risk assessments; it would be very useful if they would inform everyone else!  This would almost certainly result it more fullbore ranges around the country, as the construction costs for NDA ranges would be considerably lower. 

If anyone on here is able to assist with certifying to this apparent new standard, please drop me a message!  I could expedite a project I have in the pipeline by at least twelve to eighteen months.  Plus I could finally afford a mortgage, rather than constantly saving for geotexitle, diesel and drainage pipe!

Archived