Amax Expansion.

247sniper

Do Amax bullets expanded. Well here is the answer.

Shooting some rabbits for farmer last week, nothing to far, between 240 and 550 yards with my custom 223Ackley Improved shooting the 80 grain Amax.

This bullet jacket was inbedded and taken from the ground directly behind a rabbit I shot at 550 yards. The photo of the rabbit was quite graphic so I wont post that but here is the jacket to demonstrate bullet fragmentation/expantion.

post-10190-0-70843500-1507651428_thumb.jpg

post-10190-0-56730200-1507651440_thumb.jpg

post-10190-0-39184800-1507651452_thumb.jpg

Well that figures!!!

Many thanks for sharing that information.

Good news is Hornady do the EDL-X - the hunting version of the A-max , so should keep things out the grey area!!! ;)

Your very welcome. Id like to try the new ELD range. However having several thousand of the original Amax i probably wont bother. These should see this barrel on its way regarding optimum performance.

Steve

I have some .223 Remington 75 grain ELD-M which i intend to do a water jug test on for expansion. When i get round to it..... The new 6.5cm is getting most of the attention... But i image both the match and the hunting "X" are very similar.

Although i would have bought the "X" if they were available....

I have an out of date turkey that i, (at some point) will thaw and try both the A-Max and the ELD-M on to test for expansion...

many thanks for the replies!!

Without going in to it too much , i have used in the A-max range 105 in 243 / 123 and 140 in 6.5 / 162 in 7mm / 155 in 308 all very good and accurate!!

But am now running a 264 winmag - have some 142 EDL-X to test soon , should be interesting in the said chambering ;):)

There is no doubt they expand but is it "explosive" or "controlled"? It might be calibre specific; the 30cal 155gr Amax below has mushroomed nicely and in a controlled manner, launched from a .308Win:

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

Smaller, faster calibres may be more frangible or prone to cup and core separation as in the OP.

I once came across a Hornady advert for Amax, claiming "reliable expansion"; I kept in case I was ever challenged about using a bullet "designed to expand". I'll try and dig it out.

All a bit irrelevant now, with the advent of the new range of bullets.

There is no doubt they expand but is it "explosive" or "controlled"? It might be calibre specific; the 30cal 155gr Amax below has mushroomed nicely and in a controlled manner, launched from a .308Win:

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

Smaller, faster calibres may be more frangible or prone to cup and core separation as in the OP.

I once came across a Hornady advert for Amax, claiming "reliable expansion"; I kept in case I was ever challenged about using a bullet "designed to expand". I'll try and dig it out.

All a bit irrelevant now, with the advent of the new range of bullets.

Thanks for the reply and photos!!!

I used that very same bullet and caliber , good results too - like yourself!! ;):)

Yes. Comparing it too my 204 it is not explosive. Sometimes with the Amax i get massive impact damage and sometimes just a small caliber sized entry hole with a small orange sized exit hole. Like you say, a slower controled expantion subject to what it hits on impact whether it be flesh or bone etc

I see there has been a spelling correction.....without appearing to be a grammar Nazi, a few more wouldn't be amiss Chaps

After all, you apparently invented the Lingoi :-)

Bloody phone is a nightmare!

Lifted from Hornadys website:

Perfection every time!

The Hornady® A-MAX® bullet design grew from a relentless application of everything we know about ballistics and flight characteristics. After all, match shooters demand perfection from their bullets every time they step on the range.

The aerodynamic secant ogive profile, the sharp pointed tip and the unequaled concentricity of the A-MAX® design give it an extremely high ballistic coefficient for near perfection in flight.

NOTE. Match shooters and range use.

Who cares if they expand or not. Use a bullet designed to expand if shooting quarry. It's not difficult and there are plenty available.

Archived