On 11/01/2018 at 4:54 PM, bradders said:

When used properly they can be an effective tool/accessory

The problem is that nowadays people are choosing to use them as a first option and neglecting the principles behind it all, namely building a good position, recoil control...and so on

Totally agree.  Adhere to marksmanship fundamentals first, then use tools to enhance your shooting after identifying a need.

However, back on the subject of the original post,  agree with Baldie's observation re the sporter stock as being likely cause of Spencer's problem.

On 10/01/2018 at 6:44 PM, baldie said:

Pepperpot brakes reduce recoil by the normal braking effect.

You have equal gas forces coming out of the ports in all directions, so therefore, the "hop will be no different, on , or off.

Some brakes work well with top vents, on others, its a positive retrograde step, dependant on the design of the brake, and what angle it vents at.

Pepperpots are great for setting fire to the grass with...:D

Your problem is not the bipod, nor the brake...its the stock. It can be negated somewhat by using a side venting brake, and indexing it [ or tuning it ] so the ports are not level, but slightly canted. Done the right way, it has the effect of pushing the rifle down and left [for a right hander ] it shouldn't work....but it does.

Tikka stocks, and other factory guns too, are not the greatest in-line designs. This allows the muzzle to rise, the worse the design is.

A stock which will allow the recoil to travel back in a straight line, always works better than a sporter style stock in this respect.

Poor stock fit...in other words, but you have to p**s with what you've got.

Good examples being the AI range, AR15's and a lot of the aftermarket chassis systems.

Agreed.   I have the same rifle, and with the factory stock, it didn't matter what technique was used, preventing jump was impossible.  Since switching to a GRS stock, it's significantly reduced the jump. 

One reason I'm ditching harris-type bipods for my range guns is that they do little to help as they have a tendency to bounce and are not robust or steady enough for my liking anyway for serious target work.

My advice would be to change the stock.  There are multiple options, and many will improve matters.  All the OP needs to watch for is a stock where the butt allows the recoil forces to be taken directly back in line with the axis of the bore.   That and ditch the Harris bipod for a wider footprint one with skid type feet (that allow backwards movement) and no springy legs!  Cheapest solution is to ditch the bipod and use a shooting bag instead.

Archived