.22 Semi Auto Laws

fudge1187

Hi All

Not sure how many of you have read this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-secretary-to-consult-on-new-laws-on-offensive-weapons

Slightly concerned as I have just placed an order for a brand new semi auto .22LR Ruger 10/22 ..... which I had a call to say is ready to collect (I have not paid yet)

If the law does change can my new Ruger 10/22 be converted to single shot rather than semi auto so I havent just wasted £495????

Slightly worried!!!!

Mike

They have also tried to include 50cal. Non of the firearms they are targeting have been used in shootings in the UK. We should all be campaigning against any further restrictions.

Next after 50cal they will want .338 and any mags over 5 rounds.

I wonder about the mag thing as that will affect a great many more people. Existing mags can of course be modified to comply should they bring in such nonsense.

That’s true, also it wouldn’t make sense as if you wanted to go on a rampage you would just buy more mags. Either way we need to fight for the 50cal lot and the other firearms being targeted even if we don’t like or shoot them as it will be another nail in the coffin for all firearm owners.

I wonder about the mag thing as that will affect a great many more people. Existing mags can of course be modified to comply should they bring in such nonsense.

Another idea from the EU mind you Czech Republic just said 'NO'

We have that option too but I can't see our politicians taking it. Irrespective of what colour they are, they're hand in glove with the H/O and ACPO who all would love to see all firearms out of public ownership. (Tin hats on :ph34r: )

Where exactly in the HO release does it mention 22 semi autos?

Probably an excellent idea to disuss the facts as we become familiar with them?

No, it's far better to randomly speculate on things that haven't been discussed, let alone mentioned by anyone.

Never ever let a good crisis go to waste

Where exactly in the HO release does it mention 22 semi autos?

Probably an excellent idea to disuss the facts as we become familiar with them?

Probably 'an excellent idea' you have a read down further than the first line and maybe have a little think before you get all sarky?.... ''certain rapid firing rifles'' .....now i'm no brain surgeon but how many rapid fire rifles are there currently left on general licensing??? oh yeh only one....22LR..... Stick to the facts you said yeh?

Probably 'an excellent idea' you have a read down further than the first line and maybe have a little think before you get all sarky?.... ''certain rapid firing rifles'' .....now i'm no brain surgeon but how many rapid fire rifles are there currently left on general licensing??? oh yeh only one....22LR..... Stick to the facts you said yeh?

giphy.gif

I am sure they are referring to lever release/MARS etc. But they have approved them as section one so unless they change how section one are classified or saying that the action that is interupted is not section one them how can they justify taking them. So I can fire 1-2 rounds every 10 seconds etc. No where does it state a time and how many rounds you can fire in that time classifies the firearm as section one or 5.

I'm pretty sure she means MARS type rifles.

The Police are really pissed off that they have been classified as section 1 and have been looking for any sort of opportunity to have them effectively banned.

Have a look at the minutes of past FELWEG meetings and you find them frequently discussed, with a clear undercurrent that they don't like them and would love to have them banned.

Cheers

Bruce

I am sure they are referring to lever release/MARS etc. But they have approved them as section one so unless they change how section one are classified or saying that the action that is interupted is not section one them how can they justify taking them. So I can fire 1-2 rounds every 10 seconds etc. No where does it state a time and how many rounds you can fire in that time classifies the firearm as section one or 5.

Nobody approves anything for a particular classification, it either fulfils the criteria or it doesn't.

If that was the case then every single type of firearm would have to go through a type approval....and that doesn't happen.

The onus is on the manufacturer/distributor/retailer to ensure that they are sold/transferred etc under the correct licensing conditions.

The fact that the particular firearm has a barrel and OAL length of a certain criteria, and that the item does not automatically reload another round into the chamber (if not a rimfire of less than .23 cal, or a shotgun) automatically classifies it as a S1 firearm

And before anyone asks, the Proof Authorities don't do that either. Their job is to ensure it doesn't blow up, or if it is a deact, that it is modified to the current standards

If you want to go further then you can pay and submit it to a recognised testing authority, formerly the FSS, but now NABIS or such, but they will only give an "opinion"

Definitive proof can only be decided on in a court of law

Op - its way too early to start worrying.

If we all based our firearm purchases on what MIGHT happen with FUTURE legislation, we would buy nothing.

As yet we dont know what particular action types they are looking at so its pointless to speculate.

Crack on, buy your rifle and enjoy it.

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/police-force-is-warning-shooters-not-to-buy-mars-actions/

That was from last year.

It has been under discussion behind closed doors for longer than that. Whilst at present, the current news relates to open debate, NOT changing laws yet (that would be further down the line), it is plainly obvious to a blind man that certain police forces and CPOs are dead against MARS type actions, with this being allegedly the view in question:

"The clear implication is that shooters should avoid buying these rifles because the police want to ban them and want to evade paying compensation for lawfully-owned property that is seized."

Yes, it is speculative. No, there is no corroboration of the source of the allegations, which at best, look like the mind of someone's conspiracy theory. No, we shouldn't put our tin foil hats on and widen any likely changes in law to include .22 self loading designs like the 10/22 , at least not just yet. I do think that there will be very robust discussion over the appropriateness of having .50 cal rifles in public ownership, however much we disagree with the principle against such ownership.

It's way too early to see where all this is going, with the possible exception of MARS actions, which personally I see as highly likely to be changed to S5 (speculation or otherwise, I see it as likely), but it is not good news as little positive for the shooting community ever comes from these things. I'm just grateful that at least one or two shooting organisations will be taking an active role in discussions with government, including BASC.

No, it's far better to randomly speculate on things that haven't been discussed, let alone mentioned by anyone.

Never ever let a good crisis go to waste

crisis, what crisis ? :D

Somebody says something that can be construed negatively and it becomes a crisis. Social Media fever comes to us oldies....

crisis, what crisis ? :D

Somebody says something that can be construed negatively and it becomes a crisis. Social Media fever comes to us oldies....

Wazzat den?

Is that like a sort of friendly filter media? :lol:

Archived