6.5 creedmore info

shooter83

Hello all,

Just after some advice on a 6.5creedmore barely length. I have a .308 custom action and would like to get the lug pinned so I can swap over to a 6.5creedmore barrel. Just at the researth phase so was wondering what was the best barrell length to get me from 100 yards to 1000 yards. I will be reloading as well as using standard factory ammo so what sort of reamer is best for the applications described. Also what barrell contour for repeatable shots without it heating up too quick please.

Also,can I use a .308 mod and muzzle brake or does that have to be changed to a specific 6.5 mod?

Thanks

Is it going to be a purely prone static rifle? or are you going to be mobile with it?

Mine is a 24 inch barrel and I personally am struggling at the moment to see a comfortable 2700fps with 140 grain bullets. I have read of many other people comfortably exceeding this but so far i havn't been able to. Maybe it is because I am running the rounds through an AI mag so am a little limited on OAL but im not sure.

This seems to be where the ballistic advantages are to be had. It would appear that a 26 inch barrel would give slightly better velocities. I am still experimenting though!

I have an xlr industries element chassis with aics mags so will suffer he same oal as you I guess. I don mind going down the 26 inch route bit currently have a heavy taper barrel so would prefer something a little lighter, maybe a palma type profile to reduce weight. Or even flutes to make it useful for stalking.

This is an interesting article which seems to conclude that for heavier bullets, a 24 inch barrel is optimum and for lighter bullets, a 26 inch barrel is optimum. Bare in mind that this is optimum for highest MVs but to comfortably reach 1000 yards with a bullet like the 139 Lapua Scenar having a G7 BC of 0.291, you don't need particularly high MVs, as running a ballistic app shows that an MV of just 2550fps with such a slippery bullet is enough to get it comfortably to 1000 and remain above transonic. There'll always be a bit of fudging even using G7 BCs as distance goes out but it should give a good enough approximation to determine minimum MVs to stay above transonic at 1000. Using small primer pocket/flash hole cases allows for more consistent ignition and higher pressures to be run, so should see higher velocities from Creedmoor.

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

As the article in the link above suggests, the sample size for each test was limited to 5 shots and more would have provided better statistical relevance or accuracy. It remains an interesting article and once can only assume that the results are also dependant upon which powder is used.

Shooter,a 308 moderator will be OK in a 6.5 (or for any smaller calibre).There might be a small loss of efficiency if the mod size is greater than need be,but not noticeably-esp given ear and mod make differences.

You may well find that manufacturers do not do dedicated calibre specific mods -at least for all calibres-there are some specifically for 223 (224 really).

As an example,Ase Utra do some 223,but then 'up to .25" and then "up to 30 cal". Tuote too. Proof houses will stamp the actual cartridge used for proof,if done.

An 'up to 30' still moderates a 223 quite well.

You may want to consider all this on your 'authority to acquire/possess" with your FLO advising.

gbal

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your advice and input,much appreciated. My friends juat but a tikka tactical rifle in 6.5C so will look at the barrell length abd the bullets he runs though it.

All the best all

Hi

On the barrel I have a 26" barrel on my 6.5CM and get just shy of 2800 fps with Berger 140 Hybrids - Got a proof research carbon wrapped barrel from Dolphin - very accurate and light

On the mod - I use a 30 cal/308 mod ase utra on the 6.5cm and do not feel that I miss out

I bought a AI mod for the 308 barrel on my long action AXMC and it had 308 stamped on the side and a 338 hole down the middle - apparently they do one size mod for all calibers - again - it works

Hi

If you don't mind me asking,what price is the carbon wrap barrel and how do you rate it I have a slot for 6.5 creedmoor barrel for my AI which I have permission for vermin so weight saving appeals.

Dave

I don't know what the latest price is for the barrels you need to ask Mik at Dolphin - they are US made and the pound is not helping - I would say around £900 so pretty pricey but there is some good evidence they last longer than ordinary barrels

I love mine because it is accurate and forgiving - below is a 5x5 shot series from my pet load as above

It was short siberia so the range is actually 109 yards (111 on my swaro rangefinder bins) so you can knock 10% of the MOAs

There is a lot of chat on forums about quarter inch groups etc but frequently why you see is 3 round groups or cherry picked examples

I am not a world class shot so 5 sets of 5 rounds, in a series, well under half moa was very pleasing - love the rifle

I will get my TRG rebarreled in 308 with a proof barrel

cheers

Hobbitpost-14134-0-85346900-1507633254_thumb.jpg

Hi hobbit,

Cheers for the reply ,I contacted Mik today and he was very helpful, you were correct ref.the £ to $,looking at £1450 which puts it well out of my reach which is a shame I'd started to get excited about the idea plus I'm up that way on Friday and he has stock ,I think they land here for what you paid without allowing for any fitting work ,so no reflection on mik he has to make a living ,I'd be chuffed at those groups ,impressive Dave .

Archived