Bullet runout problems

Webby

Loading 308Win in Lap palma brass. All well prep’d <0.002 neck runout, turned, chamfered etc.
Trying to seat 155 hybrid using wilson mic seater die with both std plug and VLD one.
Cannot get bullet runout measured at ogive below 10-15 thou!
Bullet tip does not seem to sit well in either stem.
Any experience/advice re this?

I had exactly the same problem with the wilson seater, neither the std or the vld plug worked.

I switched to a Redding Competition seater - problem solved. I use this with a Harrell's Compact reloading press which is very precise and just as portable as an arbor press.

Loading 308Win in Lap palma brass. All well prep’d <0.002 neck runout, turned, chamfered etc.

Trying to seat 155 hybrid using wilson mic seater die with both std plug and VLD one.

Cannot get bullet runout measured at ogive below 10-15 thou!

Bullet tip does not seem to sit well in either stem.

Any experience/advice re this?

I thinking you've just turned some new brass?,,,,if you have done it well then there wont be much runout or non concentricity on the neck but it is its relationship with the rest of the case that has the problem.I suggest you fireform a few and recheck to see if things have straightened up.Neck turning can make things look a bit wobbly at first but on fireforming you should see 2 to 5 ten thou max,,,,thats all on a good clean up.,,I,m not familiar with "Wilson" gear so not much help I,m afraid.

If your talking fireformed brass and you have 2 thou neck runout then your neck turning has gone seriously wrong?,,,,,,,,keep us updated yeah,,,,,,,,,,,O

fired, skimmed, annealed 3 times. Last turn to give 0.014 neck wall thickness. Annealed after turning. The issue is not really the neck runout it is the fact that hybrid projectiles do not fit the seater correctly hence the huge runout at ogive. redding & forster seaters give good results but I want to use Wilson and Arbor press if possible.

fired, skimmed, annealed 3 times. Last turn to give 0.014 neck wall thickness. Annealed after turning. The issue is not really the neck runout it is the fact that hybrid projectiles do not fit the seater correctly hence the huge runout at ogive. redding & forster seaters give good results but I want to use Wilson and Arbor press if possible.

Go see Mr JC I guess ,,,you may find the answer there,,,,,,,10-15 thou runout problem is "HUGE" and should be pretty easy to figure out given other seaters work well.......O.

Archived