Tikka T3 Super Varmint (.223Rem 8 Twist)

22cf

Hi Guys,

Im interested in buying a Tikka T3 Supervarmint in .223Rem 8 twist and was wondering if they are throated longer than the 12 twist to take the longer Bullets.

Anyone able to offer any first hand knowledge please ???

Most T3s I've seen use a sporting chamber, pretty long in the throat for more jump than a rifle set up for target use. My T3 Varmint in .308 loaded to SAAMI (Magazine length) has a jump of about 53 thou with 150gr #2155 with a measured COL of 2.853" with the bullet touching the lands. I was unaware that the 1/12 would have used any shorter a throat dimension than the 1/8.

You will be able to shoot the longer bullets but don't forget that depending on actual throat length, it's useful case capacity that will vary depending on where you seat them. Seat them long and you won't be able to magazine feed the rounds. Seat them to mag length, and you'll find that most load data for the calibre is quoted in a COAL for mag length feeding. You can single feed them if loading long for more case capacity. I have yet to come across any T3 that wouldn't shoot the eyebrows off a fly irrespective of where it was loaded with the possible exception of using some VLD type Ogive profiles (eg smk#2156 Palmas won't shoot as well in mine as the less aggressive Ogive of the #2155 because it isn't as jump tolerant).

I had a T3 Sporter 20" 1:8 and the throat was reasonably spacious with an 80gr SMK my COAL to touch the lands was 2.380" certainly better than a SAMI/CIP throat but shorter than I would specify on a target build.

I see no reason not to get the 1:8 (Unless maybe you want to only shoot 40gr) as it will shoot anything the 1:12 ( 40 - 60) would but also shoot bullets right up to 80gr/82gr. I shot 52gr A-Max 69gr SMK, 77gr TMK, 80gr SMK and 80gr VLD in mine before having it re-barreled with a Bartlein 28" 1:7 to use 90gr VLD's

I did ask the question with importers a while back when considering a Sako 85 either 12 or 8 twist and wanted to know how they chambered each one,,,,,question was sent to Sako and reply was they use the same reamer dimensions for both,,,,well I,ve not tested the answer or believe the Tikka version would be the same?,,not much help I guess but at least Sako confirmed same chambering?,,,,,,,Bear in mind,,most of the length of the heavier longer bullets sit further down the neck anyways.Once one starts to question such things its probably best to consider a custom build ?buy a cheap donor and let a Smithy do what you want,,,,it could actually be cheaper ,,,most of them really know what works and no guessing games,,,,,O

Sako and Tikka use the same barrels made at the same factory, to that's no surprise really. As mentioned, most Tikkas tend to have long throats or freebore, as with many sporting rifles, and there should be no problem in loading longer target bullets. It's mag length that's the issue. You will likely need to load singly (magazine or skid) if loading longer, closer to the lands.

Archived