How to post photos on UKV, v1.0

maximus otter

NOTE: I am not a computer expert. I have no reason to believe that any of this information can or will harm your computer, as it’s the method I used. If, however, you have eleven left thumbs and the attention span of a stunned guppy, and manage to damage/erase/set fire to something while following these instructions, you’re on your own.

This article will be based on the assumption that you’re using a Windows computer and a recent operating system, e.g. Windows 7 or later. I have no experience with Apple devices or iOS.

The ability to copy and paste in Windows will be helpful. Here’s how:

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-cut-copy-and-paste-in-windows-10/

OK: Let’s go!

1. You have digital photographs saved on your computer and you want to post them on an Internet forum. Here’s how:

Sign up to an online image hosting service. I use PostImage. It’s free and easy to use: https://postimages.org/ (I have no connection with them other than as a happy user).

Click on the “Sign up” option at top right of screen:

001_Front_page_sign_up.jpg

2. A window will open inviting you to type in your email address (I used temporary, throwaway email addresses simply for the purposes of this item):

002_Sign_Up.jpg

3. Type in your email address and click on Sign In:

003_Your_new_temporary_email_address_hig

4. PostImage will tell you that your new password has been sent to your email address:

005_Your_new_password_was_sent_to.jpg

5. Open your email account and look for a new email from PostImage. If it’s not instantly obvious, check your spam filter. Here’s what you’re after:

006_Here_is_your_new_password.jpg

6. Go back to PostImage and type in your new password:

007_New_Post_Image_login_details_complet

7. Press Log In: Congratulations! Here’s your new, empty PostImage page:

008_Your_new_empty_Post_Image_front_page

8. Now the fun starts. You want to celebrate having shot a vixen recently. Type “Vixen I shot”, or something equally distinct, in the blank space, then click on Create a New Gallery (red arrow):

009_Create_new_vixen_gallery_arrowed.jpg

9. You now have brand new, empty gallery entitled Vixen I Shot:

010_New_Vixen_gallery_empty.jpg

10. To post on an Internet message board like UK Varminting, you’ll need to set the program to resize your images. (Note: PostImage can only deal with images that start off at 12MB or smaller). Click on the Do Not Resize My Images option, and you’ll get a drop down menu. Select “640 x 480 for message boards”:

013_Select_image_size_for_resizing.jpg

11. To select the photo you want to insert into this empty gallery, click on Upload in the upper left of the image shown at (9) above. The File Upload box will appear. Locate the photo you want to select on your PC. If you haven’t personalised your PC, they may be in C: > Pictures > [Your file name]. They may be in folders on your Desktop. Wherever you’ve put them, navigate to them and select the one you want to upload. I’ve selected and highlighted “Vixen Photoshopped 02”:

012_Vixen_photo_selected_and_highlighted

12. With “Vixen Photoshopped 02” highlighted, click “Open”, and PostImage will show a progress bar until the image upload is complete. When complete, you’ll see this:

013_Vixen_photo_uploaded_to_Post_Image.j

You’re almost there!

(Ignore the different photo/filename Fox Vixen Head in the above image, it should be “Vixen Photoshopped 02”, my mistake).

13. All you need to do now is to start a new topic on UKV. Here it is, with an icon arrowed:

014_Title_page_of_new_post_on_UKV_with_a

That arrowed icon (it looks like a tiny landscape) is the Image icon. It tells the computer that what you’re about to put into the post is a photograph, not text.

14. When you click on the Image icon, a box appears in which you have to paste the URL (“Where it is on the Internet”) of the image you want to use:

015_Empty_box_for_image_address_on_UKV_p

By creating a PostImage account and putting the vixen photo on there, you have given your picture a unique address that computers can understand.

15. To get the address from PostImage into the vacant box on UK Varminting, click the Share button (red arrow). A drop down menu will appear. From that menu, click on Direct Link (orange arrow). When you’ve done so, a temporary label will appear saying Copied! The address of your photo is now copied “into your mouse”:

015a_Share_button_and_Copy_button_arrowe

16. OK, back to Step 14: You’ve clicked on the Image icon. The empty URL box has appeared. You’ve selected the address of the photo and you’ve “copied it into your mouse”. All that remains to do is paste that address into the box:

A:

014_Title_page_of_new_post_on_UKV_with_a

B:

016_Image_address_cut_n_pasted_into_box_

Now click OK.

17. All that you have to do now is add suitable text and click on “Post New Topic” on the UKV post you have just created, and Bingo! you have created a post on UKV and inserted a photograph.

Congratulations.

maximus otter

Archived