Front And Rear Bag Riders AI / AICS Help

Morse

I have been enjoying long range benchrest shooting over the last few months and the Diggle BR shooters have been very helpful and accommodating. I am now looking to improve my kit (and my own PB) and move from shooting off a large sandbag to using a 'proper' front rest and rear bag.

I hope to save up for a SEB rest in time but will prob start with the heavy duty caldwell rest but any suggestions on rest and front / rear bags would be a bonus.

I shoot either a Defiance in 6.5x47 in an ACIS chassis (key slots on the underside of the stock) or my AE Mk2 in .308 (long thin milled slot along the underside of the stock)

I have done the usual internet trawl to see about a suitable front bag rider plate and attachments to suite both rifles as well as a suitable rear bag rider.

I have seen that the 'Shooting Shed' have an offering for a rear bag rider. I am not overly concerned about weight as both guns are scoped etc and fall into Heavy Gun category so I know I won't be super competitive anyway but for me its about mastering the kit and improving each time. There don't appear to be many options out there for off the shelf however

My question is to the collective wisdom of UKV BR what are the recommendations from anyone who has encountered this setup? Any off the shelf solutions that I haven't found on the web perhaps made by a 'local smith' or the other option being who would I go to to get such items made up to fit and swap ideally between both guns as well as any things I need to consider when spacing this 'custom' option?

I would like to get something sorted for the Oct 1000yd shoot ideally....

Thank you for any help in advance.

M

I have been enjoying long range benchrest shooting over the last few months and the Diggle BR shooters have been very helpful and accommodating. I am now looking to improve my kit (and my own PB) and move from shooting off a large sandbag to using a 'proper' front rest and rear bag.

I hope to save up for a SEB rest in time but will prob start with the heavy duty caldwell rest but any suggestions on rest and front / rear bags would be a bonus.

I shoot either a Defiance in 6.5x47 in an ACIS chassis (key slots on the underside of the stock) or my AE Mk2 in .308 (long thin milled slot along the underside of the stock)

I have done the usual internet trawl to see about a suitable front bag rider plate and attachments to suite both rifles as well as a suitable rear bag rider.

I have seen that the 'Shooting Shed' have an offering for a rear bag rider. I am not overly concerned about weight as both guns are scoped etc and fall into Heavy Gun category so I know I won't be super competitive anyway but for me its about mastering the kit and improving each time. There don't appear to be many options out there for off the shelf however

My question is to the collective wisdom of UKV BR what are the recommendations from anyone who has encountered this setup? Any off the shelf solutions that I haven't found on the web perhaps made by a 'local smith' or the other option being who would I go to to get such items made up to fit and swap ideally between both guns as well as any things I need to consider when spacing this 'custom' option?

M

Dont fool yourself into thinking that you can't be competitive with your set-up.

An Accuracy International AW in 6.5x47 fitted into an AX chassis currently holds both the Heavy Gun small group and aggregate records.

Ive made a few different bag rider set-ups for bench rest shooters, if your there tomorrow ask me about them, if not give me a call weekdays 10am - 6pm if you want to talk about it. :)

M

Hi Morse,

I think you might need to rethink your options for October, as the last 1,000 yard comp is tomorrow at Diggle.

It's the start of the 600 yard season in October, so hopefully you'll be getting involved in that as well.

See you tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

PS. I'll be in the Factory Sporter class with my RPR

Paul, thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't make today's shoot but the winter season is something I definitely want to take part in. I would imagine that the autumn / winter wind conditions at Diggle will make this quite a challenge!! Hope everyone has a good day out today.

Any advice is always appreciated from the UKV community as ever.

Are there any preferred dimensions for front plates / rear riders that I need to consider. Also some offerings on Sinclair etc whist not suitable for AI / AICS are made out of plastic and some of various metals. Is this a cost / weight matter or is there a difference in how they ride the bags?

As per Duey's post, ask Dave at The Shooting She'd to make you one.

He's currently making me a picatinny rail fitment for an Aics so that I can attach a Seb Joypod so I'm sure a front bag rider shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'll be interested in that myself. Wil it fit in the slot or front spickot?

Brillo, when I get some suggestions from suppliers I can PM you some details etc and it may get a quicker turn round if they make two up if it means less machine setup or something. I'm not an engineer so not sure how that side works otherwise I'd make it myself.

Archived