Hornady ELD X no thump

264wm

Have been using Hornady's ELD X 143gn in my 6.5,got them going @ 2920fps.

I have noticed that there is never a thump with them which is quite unnerving when you have been used to hearing a thump.

Shot just over 100 animals with them this year, 50/50 roe & red and not one of them have I had a thump, some might say as long as they go down whats the problem, the problem is then when you have the opportunity for multiple shots you need to move on to the next animal quite quickly and not hearing that connecting thump stops you in your tracks.The final straw was at the beginning of last when when I had 5 staggies lined up on a clear fell, shot the first one 260yds no thump, thought I had missed so gave it another,down it went, moved on to the next one same scenario, first shot no thump, by this time they are as you would expect they are getting a little fidgety.The second one ran 30yds then stopped gave it another round, and it also fell over, meanwhile the rest have scarpered.

Both animals had been shot twice through the shoulders, both rounds within 2" of each other. Has anyone else had this problem with the ELD X or should I have a hearing test.

I have seriously considered the Nosler lr from spud but really don't want to go through load developement again with a new round.

So secondly to all those that are using the Nosler Acc LR do you get a thump with them?

Regards

N

Hi N,

I've recently got a 6.5 Creedmoor and although I've only shot 4 deer so far this season, at ranges from 201yds to 295yds, and I'm only getting 2600fps out of a 20" barrel the "thump" on all the deer has seemed louder than the suppressed shot using 140 ELD's. The fact that your round is doing 300fps more would have made the thump louder again I'd have thought. I normally shoot a 270 pushing 130's at 2950fps (which has accounted for over 400 deer and 12 plains game in Africa) and anything shot through the shoulders hasn't stood long enough for another shot.

Do you think the ELDX are too stout and are not opening quick enough? I'm particularly interested as I'm going to the states tomorrow and intended buying ELD X's for my 270 and 6.5? I stopped using Berger vld's for the reasons you've observed ie no shock or shot reaction from animals hit in the vitals.

Mike

hi,

I think you could be right that the ELD X's are little to stout, the exit wounds are nothing to right home about.To be honest I found the exit wound unusual, there is a hole but it is not a hole, I know that sounds daft but the exit wounds seem as if you have just stabbed it with a fork and twiddled it round to tenderise the meat there is no gaping hole, no meat missing. I used Scenars with the meplat trimmed as suggested by Nathan Foster for a long time and never had a problem,in fact they were more explosive the further out you went.

NF suggests for long range the ELD M's they have thinner jacket.

Might have to give them a try and leave the X's alone.

So if any one wants to try the ELD X' then I have an unopened box of 143gn

N

Hi N,

did you try the Sierra pro hunter or game king in 120gr or 140gr in 6.5mm? I shoot the equivalent 130gr in 270 about the velocity you're shooting and they are Thors' Hammer on deer. I used the 120gr in a 6.5x55 at a modest 2750fps and it was far soarer on deer than the weight or velocity would lead you to believe possible, even big reds. They're cheap as chips too. Unless you absolutely need the high BC's, ie if you shoot most stuff past 300yds I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good the traditional soft point bullet kills.

Mike

If extended ranges are the norm I think the 140 ELDM will do your job nicely. take it you shoot a .264win mag? Uncommon round in the UK.

Mike

Hi I'm running the 143 eld-x in my 6.5x55 a bit slower 2820 fps our deer season just opened yesterday I took a couple of sika stags yesterday and 2 more today few neck shots and one longrange shoulder shot no issues dead on the spot I did get a good report from the shoulder shot I'm happy so far

Tackb, did you get an exit?

Regards

N

Yes I did , they seem slightly tougher than the Amax they replace but still an awesome bullet , I'm only launching at 2700fps due to a 20" barrel

Hi Mike,

yes I did run a 264wm but now running a ruger no1 in 6.5-06 with a 27" barrel.

Exit wounds have been really poor with these bullets, although everything I have hit with them has been dead,just a little concerning no thump and

tiny exit wounds..

what kind of exit wound on the shoulder shot and what range ?

Can't help to think...if you really want to drop an animal why not use a 30cal?

edi

Hi,

there is a very simple answer to your question "why not use a 30 cal", I had a very back car crash about 6 years ago and I injured my neck severely,and the recoil from the big uns hurt and could cause more damage,the 6.5-06 is about as much as I can take, although I do have a 30-06 but only shhot 125gn sst's at moderate speeds. to get the BC in the larger cal's I would have to be up into the 180-210gn and that is way beyond my pain threshold.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Exit wounds have been really poor with these bullets, although everything I have hit with them has been dead,just a little concerning no thump and

tiny exit wounds..

Really interested in your 6.5-06 .....easy enough to get dies... load data etc?

Paul

Hi Mike,

tiny exit wounds..

Really interested in your 6.5-06 .....easy enough to get dies... load data etc?

Paul

I've just got a 284 win with 26" barrel on a Sako 75 long action. It's chambered with a .318" neck rather than .312" standard so I don't have to neck turn. Mik Mak can take the credit for that, not me. I also had it throated for the 162 grain 7mm ELD-X. I'm running COAL of 3.1" & 2816 fps. I took my first two deer on Saturday morning a muntjac buck and a roe buck. The munty was only 50 metres away, the Roe buck over 100 but under 200. Both had good exit wounds, plenty of evidence of bullet expansion and a noticable thud on impact. I know I've only taken two animals so far but I thoughtdI'd share my experiences with you.

Archived