new tikka super varmint in 223 which powder and any loads

nigel

Shooting at what and at what distance?

Vermin control on corvids and rabbits etc to a few hundred yards, then any varmint bullet up to about 60grains using N133 is a proven good recipe.

Longer range using 69 or 77gr TMKs and you're better of with either N140 or RS50 (TR140), again, proven combinations, clean burning, good velocities.

Target and plinking to say 800 yards, 1/8 twist, 77TMKs again using N140/RS50 work well.

There are of course other powder and bullet combos that work equally as well, but the above is just from my own experience.

Ensure you think long and hard before buying what the rifle will be used for as this will determine the twist rate/length of barrel. Longer ranges (more than 400 yards) and you'll be limited with a 20 inch barrel and slow twist.

Viht 133 with Sierra 55gn Blitzkings, my Tikka T3 prints 0.2"-0.3" 5 shot groups (3250fps), its used by a few others on here too. This combo would be a good place to start.

Interesting 22cf. I have a Tikka T3 with a 1 in 8 twist. I use 25.1 grains of Viht N135, 55 V-Max and achieve 0.2" 0.3" in 4 shot groups moving at 3223 fps.

I also have Viht N133 which i use with 52 A-Max, i forget the recipe, but get the same accuracy as my 55 V-Max's. But on many more days.

Nigel, don't use my recipe as any kind of guide though. All guns are different. Start a few full grains down from, and work up checking for pressure signs.

Have fun.

Chaz.

Archived