.260REM vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask you for your thoughts on .260REM vs 6.5 Creedmoor?

I'm looking to shoot the 142gr SMK, and I understand that they are very similar cartridges – with the Creedmoor having a little extra scope for seating depth and a theoretically superior shoulder angle. On the flip side, .260REM has slightly greater case capacity. It's nice that Creedmoor will fit in a PMAG, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker/maker for me.

In the real world, in a 500-700yd gun, will I see much difference between the two cartridges? Is all the hype surrounding Creedmoor simply because it is the current fad?

I'm assuming barrel life will be very similar?

The cost difference for brass/dies etc. isn't really a factor for me.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Cam.

I shoot both , there is very little difference . I use 139 gr Lapua Scenars to good effect in both rifles ,they both like RL19 and have the same twist bbl made by Armalon .I'm also building a 6.5 x 47 Lapua so I can compare the three . My 260 loads all fit the AI mag as it's in a LSS stock .

I've had both , you won't notice a difference

There is better factory for creedmoor

Purely subjective but I found accuracy easier in my creedmoor than my 260 , the 260 would shoot just as well but it was harder to tune ?

Probably won't see any real world difference but to fully exploit the .260 you will most likely have rounds that won't fit in a mag. The Creedmore will allow mag feeding due to shorter coal.

The mag issue is the .260's downfall.

To reach the lands in a saami spec .260 throat requires very careful bullet choice. I used to stick to an SMK, because they will jump.

The .260 comes into its own with a longer throat and single feed however.

The creedmoor has no such problems, and with the new lapua brass will do anything the .260 will.

The shoulder angle is better, and i,m pretty sure it makes the cartridge have less felt recoil, plus its burning in the case, and not in the throat like the .260 shoulder angle will show.

I've owned all three of the aforementioned, and when my current cM barrel is toast, it will get another one.

The creedmoor can be loaded with dog crap, and it will shoot....not so the .260....it requires quite some tuning sometimes.

If you're shooting 500-700m, I'd not discount the 6.5x47L. Do you need to shoot those 142 heavies at that short distance?

Shooting at 600m, I can push a 123g scenar at 2930fps and require only 4.2Mils of elevation. Very flat shooting, extremely accurate, virtually no recoil, very easy to tune, excellent brass, easy on barrels and feeds perfectly from mags...what's not to like??

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I can't go wrong with either 260 or Creedmoor!

Cameron

There are 2 x 260 Rem sitting here that you can come round and see any time. One with a standard SA magazine, the other with a Wyatt's Extended Box Magazine.

Regards

JCS

Archived