AI AT/AX owners, Moderator options

Hello,

With any luck I plan to put in my order for an AI AX.308 in the near future and wanted to pick peoples brains regarding moderators. What have most people gone for? The tactical brake and bought the AI moderator that screws on. Or do most people opt for just getting a regular mod?

If so, what do people use? MAE and ASE I'm assuming?

Although the AI MOD screws on the brake and can be used between different barrels / calibre. However it doesn't really reflex down. Will be having a long 26" range barrel, as well as a stubby 16/18" barrel at some stage, and on both accounts wanted to add a little length as possible but still achieving good results.

As for spare barrels, do people stay with 18 x 1.5 threading to keep the AI brake, or do people choose a custom 18x1 thread for a more universal option?

Thoughts and opinions welcome,

Many thanks,

Mark

AI mod, One Less Charlie and Oceania Defence for the AI double baffle brake.

MAE and (I think) Brugger and Thomet for the older AI single baffle brake. Although no-one in the UK seems to have ever seen the B&T ones.

ASE Utra, BR Tuote and just about any of the Scandinavian and UK boutique-made moderators if you remove the brake and go with the 18 x 1.5 thread.

The military generally prefer single point attachment moderators as high round counts can cause thermal stresses with a reflex design, leading to a shift in zero. That's not really an issue for most hunters, but might well be for target shooters and varminting.

Personally, I went for the AI mod as I wanted the convenience of not having to remove the brake. I really wanted the OLC stainless one, but he hasn't made a batch for a while and in the end I gave up after 6 months of waiting. The Oceania ones look nice, but given the price, they clearly must use unicorn tears in the additive manufacturing process.

OLC stainless over tactical brake.

Very quiet☺.

Very heavy☹.

Retains heat from long rapid shot strings☹.

Very heavy☹.

Locks up well, stays tight☺.

Can be used as a club / hammer and effective hand warmer.

If you are static and shoot supported its a good choice, for field competition / stalking or unsupported not so good. I do recommend it but be aware the combined weight with a tactical brake (1kg) is worth considering depending on what your intended use is.

I'm happy with M18x1 on my aftermarket barrels, easier to find good quality second hand moderators.

A friend bought a 308 AT, with brake and mod, not wanting to chop any barrel off that may hinder long range performance of the 308

Thanks for the mention guys and I have noted the comments regarding two things .. namely the weight and the wait.

Regarding the weight..just consider this is an all stainless steel item with design constraints based around the fact that it has to screw onto and seal over an existing design and moderate and not fall apart.

Regarding the wait...well unfortunately you either pay for a one off special or you wait for a batch (one going through this week) I dont really have much option but will always help if I can.

post-10011-0-56780200-1503300227_thumb.jpg

post-10011-0-95553000-1503300268_thumb.jpg

Hi mark,

I have just bought an AX 308 and also have bought a used AI mod,the tactical brake is bored .338 as is the AI mod which is fine on 338/308 but if you opt for smaller cal , I don't feel it will be effective,I hope to get a 6.5 cm. barrel for mine as funds permit and will also have to budget for a dedicated mod for it to get the best performance,

Another option which would fit the AI brake is made by Simon Lawrence of Lawrence precision made from titanium ,I was quoted £700 gulp! The reviews are excellent but price tag is killer, (approx double the one less Charlie cost) all the best Dave

but if you opt for smaller cal , I don't feel it will be effective,

well maybe, maybe not

I used to shoot a 308 can on a 223 and I could not tell the difference. Sure there was one, I just could not hear it. Having said that if I was rebarelling , I would just cut M18x1 for a can, no brake

Hi

The Lawrence precision "Titan" mod is 22 cm long with a width of 4.5cm and weighs 360 grams, and adds 8cm to o/a length it has been tested to "15000 rounds" I'm told the quality of the work is outstanding so I think your right shuggy compared to other top end prices maybe not so bad ..

Thank you for all your replies, sorry I'm only getting back to this. Been very busy!

I'm not going to consider the Lawrence Precison or the Oceania based on price alone.

Does anyone know the weight and dimensions for both the AI suppressor and one less Charlie? Including how far forward they exstend from the muzzle or brake?

I'm assuming the SL5 / SL7 / Jet Z would be shorter than the above?

Does anyone know the internal diameter of the forend on the AI? I'm assuming the thinnest reflex moderators won't be able to relex back inside? Think the thinnest is 38mm.

Re threading. Still torn. The AI .308 barrel is going to come with 18x1.5 so some merit to get the 6.5CM the same, but I have other rifles in 18x1.

if you buy at the same time as the gun cant you squeeze a deal on an AI one ?

That would be the plan if I went down the AI route. Just wondered if there were, lighter, shorter, cheaper options that were any good.

The 6.5CM barrel is going to be 26" long, so just trying to avoid a scaffold pole with a muzzle mounted can, or limit it as much as possible. Equally becusse it will hopefully be a can do all rifle, will get a stubby 16"/18" barrel later on down the line for use on my permission. In that instance would like it to be as short, light and pointable as possible.

Hi mark,

The AI mod is 234mm o/a length

Adds 175mm to o/a length

Diameter 53mm

Weight 500 grams (kitchen scales)

L/h thread fits tactical brake

Hope this helps..

Huge help! Thank you

OLC mod (full welded stainless steel).

47mm dia.

172mm long.

Threaded and machined to fit over AI tactical brake.

Adds 113mm to firearm when fitted.

808.5g weight.

This mod is quiet and very well made. Mine was manufactured to suit 6.5mm cal,

For the cost of a phone call give Colin a call and discuss your requirements, I am sure he will be able to manufacture to your needs.

OLC mod (full welded stainless steel).

47mm dia.

172mm long.

Threaded and machined to fit over AI tactical brake.

Adds 113mm to firearm when fitted.

808.5g weight.

This mod is quiet and very well made. Mine was manufactured to suit 6.5mm cal,

For the cost of a phone call give Colin a call and discuss your requirements, I am sure he will be able to manufacture to your needs.

Thank you Cheetor.. I was just about to type it out.

Give me a call Mark and I will see what I can do for you 07833 212214

regards

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, hope this is not considered a hijack of the thread, anybody know the life expectancy of the AI titanium mod.

(approximately)? Thanks. JP.

Colin (OLC), when do you expect your Mods., (that fit the AI brake), to be available? Are they ceracoated or stainless? Thanks.

JP.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few from the last batch prior to coating if required, some in .308 some in 6.5mm.

All spun up on a dummy barrel complete with slave brake fitted to check concentricity as they are a fully welded assembly.

post-10011-0-82322600-1508850369_thumb.jpg

Cheers Colin, looks a beast alright!

Looking forward to seeing mine once it’s been Cerakoted. Just a reminder as I forget if I mentioned it in my deposit email that I require a .308 version.

Cheers,

Mark

Ok mate, yours is second from the right

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all 

Got the AI version on my 308 AT   everyone is happy to see me fit it to the brake at the range and also comment on the low sound ,only problem it has is its a pain to clean in the area where the `O` slides over and screws onto the brake ,usually needs the o ring taking out and the inside area cleaning with a small wire brush / screwdriver blade to get the crud out .This is after trying it dry and using various amounts of silicone grease , nickeleze  release agents etc to try and reduce the fouling . Threads stay clean ok also the brake gets  crudded up too . Might be a good idea to get some spare O rings as these seem to get some hammer keeping the gases inside the can ,once the O ring stops sealing the only way for the gas to go is backwards towards your face and nice optics  .

Cheers Richie 

Archived