Subsonic rifle scopes

moonfleet

To be honest any reliance on a reticule within a scope{if that's what your talking about} linked to a common or "probable" trajectory will be at best somewhere near the mark but not good enough I reckon,,,,just so many other variables I,m afraid.......22RF,s have huge drop off,,,,either dial or field test any reticule for accuracy and note actual performance for any given or preferred ammo,,,which of course should be repeatably accurate. Beyond 70/75 yards or so most 22RF,s really start to stuggle and stay in group,,,O,,,,,Match rifle and ammo being the exception.,,,,,O

Exactly as onehole-one reticule cannot be dead on for a variety of cartridge loadings-and loadings do vary-'even in subsonic":

Eley 40 g SSHP. @ 1065 fps MV. 25y 2.2/.3 ; 50y 3.9/1.3 ; 75y 3.2/2.8 ; 100y 0/4.8 ; 125y -5.8/7.3; 150y -14.5/10.3

RWS SSHP 40g@1000fps MV. 25y 2.7/.4; 50y 4.5/3.1; 75y 3.7/3.1; 100y 0/5.4; 125y -6.8/8.2. ; 150y -16.9/11.8

RWS 40gHV 40g@1310 MV. 25y 1.4/.5; 50y 2.8/1.8; 75y 2.4/4.0; 100y 0/7 ;125y -4.5/10.5 ; 150y -11.4/14.7

These are in 10mph wind,and are drop/drift in inches

There is less than an inch difference between the SS and HiVel,well beyond 100y,notice

The two brands of SS are not at identical MVs,so differ likewise in ballistics-but not so much.

These are all zeroed at 100y,probably a bit far for 22rf,but emphasises the (small) differences-a 50y zero would reduce them even more ,to 50y then incrase them beyond that.

150y is beyond the cartridge's effective range without precise measures and skill.

75y is a more relistic limit,and with say 50y zero,the quieter SS has only a small disadvantage ballistically.

A 'dedicated' Sub Sonic scope is ,as said,something of a misnomer,as is a 22rf calibrated scope- ammo differs within such cartegories. You may find one that is matched to your ammo's MV-in your rifle,maybe.

All that said,with the trajectories typical of all 22rfs,some help in reducing error can be useful...but you need to know your combo's performance (and measure ranges and wind pretty accurately-true for any sighting use.One scope can't fit all exactly,ammo/rifles differ--but can help once you figure it all out.

gbal

I'm using the Hawke Vantage with the half mildot ret.

Played around with it using strelok pro and chairgun, altering mag, and zero range until im happy with the aim points on the scope.

55 yard zero on 20 mag is what mine works out to, i intend shooting off a bipod so the high mag shouldn't be a problem. Chairgun and strelok work out almost identical, i have tried it out to 115 and its almost bang on, certainly good enough for clean kills, i guess any further out and the little subsonic is running out of legs.

I'd say buy one., holding over is a thing of the past now.

Your better off dialling the turret {if fitted} to be honest,,,guess your using a range finder so just dial it in on any mag,,,simple,,,just field test and make a small range card till you can memorise the 5 yard changes.......I would not want to be working with 20 mag in poor light or night shooting,,,,,holdover aint so bad with a little practice,,,,quick too!!!,,,,,,,sorry,,,,just like to keep it simple with the humble .22,,,,,,each to their own methods of course,,,,whatever works,,,brill,,,,,,,O

Archived