Stupid question - how does Diggle work

Live in Manchester, never been to diggle! I see from the website you can turn up and pay a day fee without being a member. My question is when? The calendar shows a load of competition dates etc, but when can I turn up with my stalking rifle and shoot a bit of practice out to 300 yards?

Have tried calling the number on the website and emailing, but no response.

Thanks in advance.

Hi dashed.

You are correct that you just pay a visitors fee but for you to shoot at your required distance there either needs to be a suitable competition being run for your distance on any particular day that you could join in, or maybe there is a practice day (mid week or on an unused range at weekends) you could attend as long as there is a range officer present to run it without conflicting with other ranges (there are a total of 4 ranges on the Diggle complex - 2 at 100yds, 1 at 300 yards and 1 at 500 yards to 1000 yards).

Just do not turn up either midweek or weekend and expect to shoot at whatever distance you need without contacting the range.

You could leave a message on here for Vince Bottomley a.k.a The Gun Pimp who is a mainstay of Diggle and would advise.

Diggle works like this, you get wet, then you dry off a bit before getting wet again :)

I thought it was more like:

You drive there, sit around waiting for the cloud and mist to clear....then go home with your unfired gun :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Diggle has useful formal and informal opportunities for the sporting rifle user - IMO, definitely worth visiting Vince there to have a look round and chat..

Yes, we do battle with the elements at Diggle but, with 400 members shooting around 10 different disciplines we have to shoot all year round.

There's no let-up in winter though yes, we do lose the odd day to snow or mist but I never fail to be impressed by the enthusiasm of Diggle members who go out in sometimes appalling conditions to enjoy our sport.

That's shooting! Long may it be so.

• 3 months later...

Ralph,

We are in a touristy area - the nearby village of Uppermill has a museum, canal boat rides, lots of twee cafes, restaurants and shops open all weekend.

There is also a lot of nearby accommodation to suit most pockets.

If you did want a weekend away, check our competition calendar and pick a suitable weekend.

Vince

36 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Ralph,

We are in a touristy area - the nearby village of Uppermill has a museum, canal boat rides, lots of twee cafes, restaurants and shops open all weekend.

There is also a lot of nearby accommodation to suit most pockets.

If you did want a weekend away, check our competition calendar and pick a suitable weekend.

Vince

Hi Vince.  You forgot to mention the numerous great bars in Uppermill and the best Indian restaurant  (The Shalimar).    Les Holgate,  Andy Carter and myself will be partaking in the usual 'Uppermill Shuffle' this coming Saturday night and visiting the Shalimar.   Plus some fantastic 'totty' in the bars.   Roll on Saturday night.   Plus the shooting on the Sunday is not bad either but bring your winter weather gear.  

Much as I appreciate to attractions of 'totty', I'm not sure it's much of a selling point to SWMBO :lol:

On a more serious note (I am very new to this), if one was to decide to take a weekend/ short break of some sort, should one manage the almost insuperable battle of convincing the distaff side of the merits of one slopping off for some long distance hole punching, what does one do with ones fire arm? I can't believe the fuzz would be charmed about it being in a car over night or in an hotel room? It doesn't help that my .308 is very long and the case won't fit in the boot of either of our cars. When I take it to club it sits as a passenger beside me - have to take the silly little car as the parking is so tight there!

Leaving your gun in the car overnight is a no-no but sleeping with it is fine (with SWMBO's permission of course) and most local hotels and B&Bs are well used to guns - we run three rounds of the GB F Class League with maybe 60 visiting shooters staying locally.

We also have a large safe on range which will accommodate the odd gun.

Archived