Hornady Superformance & 60gr v-max load data

RobertH

Hello all,

I picked up some 60gr .224" V-max bullets I had ordered in, but my gun shop had run out of my normal CFE 223. I have some H4895, but I thought I'd get some Superformance powder to try, but have not found any load info online, or in my Hornady manual.

Does anyone have any starting load information please?

I tried the Hornady Superformance 53gr v-max factory rounds some time ago, which were quick but grouped in a lacklustre fashion, but since starting home loading I've found my rifle likes seating into the lands, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Robert,

You don't state what cartridge this is for, so I take it that it's for a 223 Remington?

The only 60 grain .224 bullet, the 60 grain V-Max in fact, Hodgdon list with Super Performance is the 22-250, Min charge 39.0 grains, max charge 43.0 grains.

https://www.hodgdon.com/superformance/

There's no data in the Hornady 10th edition manual for the combination of the 223, the 60 grain V-Max and Super Performance. In fact there's no loads with this powder and the 223.

Unfortunately, it's not in QuickLOAD either, so can't even use that the estimate it's suitability.

Neil

Absolutely the wrong powder for your 60g in 223,,,,way too slow my friend,,,,if you want to stick to Hodgdon then 4895..benchmark,,Varget etc much better,,,,[Vit 135 would be good!!] O

PS ,,I,d be surprised if they actually use this powder in their 53g Superformance factory loads.

Absolutely the wrong powder for your 60g in 223,,,,way too slow my friend,,,,if you want to stick to Hodgdon then 4895..benchmark,,Varget etc much better,,,,[Vit 135 would be good!!] O

PS ,,I,d be surprised if they actually use this powder in their 53g Superformance factory loads.

Just going by burn rate charts, the sample below in burn rate getting slower from top to bottom, shows its slow burn rate is slow.

VihtaVuori N160

Hodgdon H4831 & H4831SC

Hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE

IMR 4955

Winchester Supreme 780

Putting a few of these similar burn rate powders into QuickLOAD shows it's unlikely to be suitable for the .223 Remington, this even with heavy 90 grain .224 bullets.

Of course, burn rate's not the only factor, but it looks like it's not a suitable powder for the 223 Rem.

I phoned my local dealer (Greenfields of Salisbury - Great gunshop) and they're happy to swap it even though I'd opened it to see the grain size.

I must admit I find it bizarre that it is regularly stated on the internet that it's not the same powder, but Hodgdons Superformance page states:'Hodgdon® Powder Company and Hornady® have teamed together to answer the reloading question; “Can I buy the powder used in Hornady Superformance factory ammunition?”

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

I shoot that bullet and you need a faster burning powder. Vhit N133 is ideal. I load mine with 23.2gr of N133 at 2.244 COAL for 3140 fps. Groups are .5 inch. Given the imminent difficulties in sourcing powders from State-side, I would recommend the N133 as the obvious choice for that bullet. Heavier than 60gr and you need to switch to N140 or Reload Swiss RS50.

Archived