Markers Bisley

Montey

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well here'sa thing. I always thought private markers  (and those that organise them) were supposed to be the best  of the best, more reliable than most. Last week I was proved wrong.

I had a call from one person who had given me work before. He in turn had been called by someone who was trying to fill a multi marker shoot. 

He offered me three half days and I accepted two, as one morning I was already booked by the NRA. He was OK with that.  Oh this was only two days away, unusually short notice for private work. 

Then he texted back to say maybe the second morning was to be covered by someone else  and he would let me know. By then I had clocked off the NRA. Despite trying to get confirmation one way or another, nothing. Would it have killed him to just let me know?

• 2 months later...

It's been dead for a while, but starting to pick up now. 

I have to say though there seems to be a disturbing push, on the part of Bisley, towards the electronic targets. I've even had one very large club, who book several times a month telling me the dates they wanted there's no manual targets available. In May!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Why is a push for electronic targets "disturbing"?  I shot a long time with manual marking and a bad marker is both infuriating and unfair. Having used electronic targets for a good five years, I'd be very unhappy to go back to manual marking.

I dunno, customer service? From a purely business point of view isn't the customer always right? For as many shooters that hate poor markers there's as many that wouldn't touch electronic targets. There should at least be a choice. 

If you are happy with the electronic targets that's great. Have to say though I don't think you have had good markers in the past. 

4 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

Why is a push for electronic targets "disturbing"?  ......

Because when I pass the Kongsberg targets on Century at the weekend, with them having been shot at all week, it's interesting to see where the centre of the mass of shots seems to be.  Not always in the centre of the bull.  The key part of getting them (electronics) correct is making sure that the black centres are pasted exactly in the 'centre' of the target sensors.  Otherwise they are only of use for grouping and the 'zero' should be taken with a pinch of salt.

5 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

Dunc I never thought of it like that. The target faces aren't charged with every use, only when they are falling apart. 

Gary, I shot on them over a year ago and 'discovered' my zero had shifted (at 100) by about 1.5" both right and up.  Fortunately I was confident in my zero and as a mate was shooting on the target near me, I tried it on his and it was spot on.  Back to mine, it was 1.5" up and right again.  Chatting to one of the lads in the range shed and I realised where the issue was....

1 hour ago, Dunc said:

Gary, I shot on them over a year ago and 'discovered' my zero had shifted (at 100) by about 1.5" both right and up.  Fortunately I was confident in my zero and as a mate was shooting on the target near me, I tried it on his and it was spot on.  Back to mine, it was 1.5" up and right again.  Chatting to one of the lads in the range shed and I realised where the issue was....

I've asked the Range Office, the online NRA social media people and those setting up the target screens exactly how they guarantee that the target is central to the sensors. They either stare blankly, ignore you or just say 'they are'. They won't accept there can be an error for some reason. Having seen how blase the Target Shed are at pasting up targets, I doubt that any of them are 100% central. 

As Dunc says, ok for grouping practice, or scoring if you accept that your sights might not be set correctly afterwards. Use them for zeroing? .......................I wouldn't.

16 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

The Zero Range is available for the purpose of zeroing - isn't that a better bet?

No.  In my case, I need a precise 100 yd zero (with a 600/1,000 zero) to set up Strelok to take me out to 1400 yds +

54 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

The Zero Range is available for the purpose of zeroing - isn't that a better bet?

The zero range is good to 'get you on target' but not much else. The only way to get a proper zero on the range is to actually shoot that range.

A small error in sight picture or zero might not show up at 70-odd feet but at 1000yards it could be a huge error, but you know that I'm sure.

33 minutes ago, Dunc said:

No.  In my case, I need a precise 100 yd zero (with a 600/1,000 zero) to set up Strelok to take me out to 1400 yds +

Interesting.  I just set up "Shooter" with 100yd zero and dialled 1400yds (.308 155) and got 81.7moa.  Reset the zero to 75yds and got = 81.7moa !

The trajectory between 75 and 100yds has no appreciable difference for .308 at 2850 fps.  It isn't a calculation error as far as I can see

3 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

The zero range is good to 'get you on target' but not much else. The only way to get a proper zero on the range is to actually shoot that range.

A small error in sight picture or zero might not show up at 70-odd feet but at 1000yards it could be a huge error, but you know that I'm sure.

75m (82yds)

4 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Interesting.  I just set up "Shooter" with 100yd zero and dialled 1400yds (.308 155) and got 81.7moa.  Reset the zero to 75yds and got = 81.7moa !

The trajectory between 75 and 100yds has no appreciable difference for .308 at 2850 fps.  It isn't a calculation error as far as I can see

The zero range is 71 'FEET',  your calculations are 75 YARDS

2 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

The zero range is 71'7"

A-ha !  I was reading "Butt Zero" as the zeroing range - doh.   My apologies and I concur that 71' is no use to man nor beast

• 3 months later...

Hmmmm, there's a suspicion that Bisley are only booking the young markers because they are cheaper than those over 25. All I can say for sure is they aren't booking the older markers. If you don't want a bored teenager on your target, best book a private marker.....