Muzzle brake or sound moderator

OK I'm relatively new to target shooting, about 6 years in I'm doing quite well.

Some of the club competitions I shoot are off the elbows prone. I use sound mods on everything apart from my p17. Would I gain anything from using a muzzle break over a moderator. Mainly on a 308 varmint profile howa and a 6mmppc sako 75 varmint profile.

Mainly interested in balance of the rifle as they tend to be front end heavy due to the moderator and sometimes I loose sight of the target if you will. Or is it a case of less magnification,I use 24x at 100m and learn a better hold of the rifle.

No idea about your club rules but nearly all serious clubs in NZ do not allow brakes because they are so off-putting to adjacent shooters.

As for the rifle balance, are you not allowed to use a sling? If you are, there should be no problem with the extra weight out front unless you have a really heavy rig. Ignoring the support/wobble issues, you should use enough magnification to get good definition on the target but no point going up to a level where all you're seeing is distracting wobble.

Archived