6.5x284 cases hard to chamber

sean223

Hi. My lapua cases are hard to chamber after 3rd firing. Reading on line there seems to be a special die you can buy that sizes the case right to the head where the problem seems to be. Has anybody used one or any thoughts on them? Also does this happen alot with 6.5x284 brass or is it a sign of pressure? Thanks.

Unless your rifle has an exceptionally tight chamber you should be able to use your ordinary 6.5x284 full length sizing die to resize the cases. If you have only been neck sizing or only have a neck sizing die then you'll have to spring for a fl sizing die.Measure a fired case shooulder and screw dowm th fl die till you are pushing the shoulder back 2 thou and youre good to go.

Mike

Hi Mike. I've been fl resizing every time with redding com dies and pushing the shoulder back about 2 tho. First 2 firings were fine but on the 3rd I could feel them tight to chamber, some are really tight. The problem seems to be just after the head of the case the rest of the case seems fine.

I'm guessing you've got the 5 different sized (depth) Redding case holders to go with your Comp die set. Take one difficult to chamber fired case, and try bumping it back with the next size down holder. In truth if it's already tight you most probably need to go down a few sizes. I had the same problem with my Rem 700 .223. I stripped the bolt and cheched chamber tightness with no bolt tension. I used a pair of plumbers grips and a strip of soft leather so as not to mark the bolt.

l bumped the shoulders back first with the +10 thou case holder and checked chamber, then moved up to +8 thou etc. Repeat until you are sure there is no tightness at all.

This process worked for me and took no more than 15 mins. I've been reloading about 27 years but seriously I can honestly say I'm still open to learning and some of the resources on YouTube if combined with a basic awareness and understanding are excellent.

Besg of luck.

Mike

Have you got the Redding comp die set (set of 3 dies) if so the one without the micrometer gauge on top is the one you should be using. It's the Redding body die. Use it with the method I described above.

I haven't got the different size shell holders. Am using the reading small base body die. It seems like the case has bulged out just after the head which is leaving it hard to chamber. Am already bumping the shoulder back 2 tho, I've tried bumping them 5 tho but no difference when chambered. Looks like the die is not long anof to size the case where the problem is, right at the head.

I haven't got the different size shell holders. Am using the reading small base body die. It seems like the case has bulged out just after the head which is leaving it hard to chamber. Am already bumping the shoulder back 2 tho, I've tried bumping them 5 tho but no difference when chambered. Looks like the die is not long anof to size the case where the problem is, right at the head.

I'd be surprised if the base bulging is the problem - but, an easy way to find out - cut a re-sized case in two and try to chamber just the bottom half - I'd bet it will chamber easily.

It's more likely a shoulder-bump problem - your brass may have work-hardened and the small shoulder-bump you are able to apply isn't enough.

I assume this is a custom barrel - if it's been chambered 'tight' on the 'go' gauge, it's quite possible your die won't re-size it (bump it) sufficiently.

I usually take a few thou. off the bottom of the die if this is the issue. But, chambering just the base of the case, as I've suggested, will flag up the problem.

I'd be surprised if the base bulging is the problem - but, an easy way to find out - cut a re-sized case in two and try to chamber just the bottom half - I'd bet it will chamber easily.

It's more likely a shoulder-bump problem - your brass may have work-hardened and the small shoulder-bump you are able to apply isn't enough.

I assume this is a custom barrel - if it's been chambered 'tight' on the 'go' gauge, it's quite possible your die won't re-size it (bump it) sufficiently.

I usually take a few thou. off the bottom of the die if this is the issue. But, chambering just the base of the case, as I've suggested, will flag up the problem.

We'll I cut the resized "bumped back 2tho" case as you suggested, it still feels tight to chamber.When you close the bolt it feels tighter and if you open and close the bolt a few times it puts small scuff marks on the brass at the base of the case. The brass has been annealed after the second firing. It's a nesika k (short) single shot action. I've took a few pictures, if I can upload them.

I shoot 6.5-284 and had the same problem when I first started. I was bumping the shoulders well back and still having problems with chambering the case. A Redding small base body die cured the problem. This was in a Savage f-open rifle with an original barrel. Since I replaced the factory barrel with a GB Barrel in the same chamber I've not needed to use the small base die yet when resizing the cases. Hope this helps.

Archived