S&B 12-50x56 SFP P4F Question

CameronWilson

Is the magnification value on the zoon ring not in a different colour for a couple of values ?? (& could I ask if not why not?)

I've seen this on other SFP scopes but never held a S&B SFP.

T

That's great, thanks guys.

So is it safe to presume, that in relation to the target:

At 25x, the thickness of the SFP reticle and the FFP reticle will be the same.

At 12.5x, the thickness of the SFP reticle will be twice that of the FFP reticle.

At 50x, the thickness of the SFP reticle will be half that of the FFP reticle.

Thanks,

Cam.

I'm thinking, that the majority of the shots I take will be less than 25x - purely because I can't personally hold the rifle steady enough, I'll be seeing mirage from the barrel and in the UK the weather is rarely perfect. So basically at 25x and above, it'll be Vaseline Vision.

The only time I will go above 25x will be use the scope, effectively, as a spotting scope - to try and see where I am on the target, and to make corrections. At this point, it doesn't really matter how thick the reticle is, as I'll essentially just be using it as a ruler. The fact that the FFP will always subtend correctly, is of more benefit to me.

So if the majority of the time I'm at 25x or less, the SFP scopes reticle is going to cover more of the target than the FFP reticle.

So if I go down the FFP route, at 25x or below, the reticle is never going to be thicker then needs be, and it's going to subtend correctly at all magnifications which means no mental arithmetic.

I'm just thinking out loud here guys, because I'm well aware that conventional wisdom is that by default you opt for SFP on high mag. scopes.

It would be unusual to use the subtensions on low power - why would you, if something was that close then holding off for wind or distance does not make any sense ( well not to me??)

What the ret covers at high mag is if interest but the latter date rets cater for this, I have a 40x FFP scope who's central 'dot' covers about 2" at 1000 yards (= a rabbits head or less than 1/2 the V Bull ) so not sure what folks are shooting at where this could possibly be an issue but welcome any comments etc.?

Terry

I had heard that,in ensuring that the crosshairs remain usable and fine enough at max mag,that some high power scopes can suffer with an overly fine reticle on lower mag. Only what I'd heard,mind,I favour sfp. Probably best to try it out for yourself,in varying light conditions.

Archived