UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Gluv

Best Red dot sight for .22 lr AR ?

Any recommendations for a decent/ quality red dot to go on top of a .22 Ar?

Gluv

Eotech was the standard at work on AR15s, g36s, mp5s and pretty much the same for other plod establishment I visited in several European countries. The single A123 battery versions are better for me - something like an xps2. We have one of them on a client AR15 (223). The advantage is that they are holographic- no parallax and you pick up the red dot and circle quicker, even when your head is really off axis. Also built like tanks.

The down side for me is that they sit high, depending on your face shape this can be good or bad. They do not suit my face (thin) without an adjustable cheek piece. My own 9mm AR, has a docter red dot on it as it suits my face shape - many people find it too low to use.

From a value for money point of view have a look at Meopta red dots, we have them on several client carbines and are very good - they make red dots for other high end companies that are re-branded ( been to the factory several times and seen it). There is an excellent new Meopta red dot but for mil and plod only for now.

Has nobody tried the trijicon Mro out of interest ?

I've owned several from Aimpoint, Trijicon, EOTech etc. I currently use an EOTech XPS 2 but the one that performed the best and won me more 2 gun competitions than any other was a Vortex SPARC II. I gave it to a guy at the club who was trying to compete with some awful Chinese abomination that couldn't hold zero. I really wish I'd kept it. Stunning little thing.

EoTech got sued by the US Govt coz certain models don't hold zero

Aimpoint have never been sued because of loss of zero

Aimpoint batteries last around 70'000 hours

From what I read and the reason I haven't returned my EOTech for a refund which I could is that all sights tested including Aimpoint had POI shifts in extreme heat or moisture it's just that L3 hid their results claiming the EOTechs didn't suffer from it which is why they were bought by the US. EOTechs aren't worse or better than any other high end sight, they just have more unscrupulous people running the company.

Used an old ex-US issue Aimpoint on my V-22 flat-top .22

Now got it in a ex-US issue swan mount as the new Bremmer is an A2 type upper so no nice rail to fit scopes to.

Also got an ex-Israeli issue scope, but awaiting part of the mount for it. Looks on a par with the Aimpoint both in ergonomics, optics & battery life = just not as easy to source!

Good vid Rob, backs up my way of thinking

I love the battery life and choice of models. I've owned Comp M3's M4S and Micro and the only reason I've moved them on is due to eye issues

I have actually used a M4S on several occasions on US Army & Air Force M4 rifles to knock down SAAB targets to 500M and ring steel Iron Maidens out to 700M, although those have requiored severe Kentucky windage and SWAG holdovers.....best fun ever though :-)

THe Aimpoint Pro is well priced, but in reality, if I was to get another, I imagine it would only be a Aimpoint

I'm a fanboy, I just have trouble using one these days :-(

Any recommended suppliers uk or eu for the Aimpoints ?

Burris Fastfire 3.

Have one on my Vepr 12 and its worked flawlessly. I figure if it can withstand 12 bore semi auto recoil, it will be fine on a .22 AR.

Just ordered another for the AR.

Burris Fastfire 3.

Have one on my Vepr 12 and its worked flawlessly. I figure if it can withstand 12 bore semi auto recoil, it will be fine on a .22 AR.

Just ordered another for the AR.

Because you're too poor....or stingy to buy an Aimpoint

Hi Gluv

I have both and as bradders hints on it's all about how good or old your eyes are I'm 52 and use 1.5 readers to do any close up work and my micro dot doesn't look any where near as sharp as it was, I find the the eotech less fussy and with the magnifier superb and the large circle great for steel plate comps obviously the Aimpoint wins hands down on battery life and compactness there both great and you won't need to worry about the brightness in the UK, it wouldn't be an issue, try to look through both see what your eyes like if your after either William evans at Bisley normally has them both at a not bad price for the UK.

Rgds Paul

Thanks for the replies chaps, I shall look into the recommendations

Gluv

I personally find the EoTechs to be considerably faster than the Aimpoints, and at the end of the day, speed is everything.

The Trijicon MRO is undoubtedly an improvement on the Aimpoints - its larger window of observation gives you a higher likelihood of acquiring the red dot itself, as you bring the rifle up quickly. You do however have to mount the MRO closer to your eye in order to get the benefit of the larger objective lens - if you attempt to run the MRO at the front of your receiver like you would an Aimpoint, you won't see any real benefit.

The Vortex SPARC AR is also worth considering if you're on a budget.