My Old Ase Compact

Well its been nearly 10 years ,seen three barrels wear out and done appx 600 on a current 6BR ,,,,I think I can say goodbye now,,,,,,this came about by the discovery of a pinhole that enlarged a little more with a good poke.Suspecting even greater corrosion on the inside and in the frame to have a new one anyway I cut it up just to be nosey.Surpriingly apart from the enlarged pinhole there was still good material around it and would probably not look to fail seriously in the short term.I will say that I had looked after the mod meticulously always ensuring a drying out and brushing and oiling with an oil soaked stiff brush.

I think I must pay credit to the Ase Utra its served me very well,,,what did also surprise me was the relatively small amount of deposits over this time,,,the picture below is as I found it which sort of bears out that they do self clean to a degree?,,,,,,I,ve not gone for the Compact again but have decided to give the Wildcat Evolution a go and must say it looks a very nice bit of kit,,,,time will tell,,,,,,here,s a pic of the old Compact now dismembered as I thought you may like to see......O

post-41-0-36382300-1499426982_thumb.jpg

Thats the first one I've ever seen worn out.

Had you kept it complete, Dave, you could have sent it back to Jacksons, and had a new one for 60% of the current retail price.

Even at 10 years old.

Thats the first one I've ever seen worn out.

Had you kept it complete, Dave, you could have sent it back to Jacksons, and had a new one for 60% of the current retail price.

Even at 10 years old.

Yes Dave ,,I suppose I should have thought more about the 60% option ,,,,,,have taken advantage of that so many times with the T8,s in the past but was hankering after a change,,,, just so versatile the Wildcat system ,,,we will see,,,Tested the evolution tonight for zero and grouping,,,,zero,,,needed three/four clicks for windage,,,vertical no change,,,grouping ,,same as Ase ,,,,usual 6BR stunning and repeatable mod on/off and on again etc,,,noise,,? samishh I guess,,,,,accuracy was prime requirement. I have Compacts/cqb,s, on my other 6br,s and 22 PPC and judging by the age/usage of the failed example I still have many years of life left in these,,,hope so! something about the heft and feel of an Ase Utra that makes it feel part of the barrel/rifle? or is it just me,,,,,,O

• 7 months later...

Moderators come and go, and I've tried my fair share of them, but to my mark one ear hole nothing rivals the compact for longevity or sound suppression.

Archived