A Wildcat is born

Very interesting indeed.

I have old 260 dies and brass from previous barrels and wonder if new life could be brought by a 6.5 SLR FLS or body die.

May I ask who your smith was and do you know if he has a standard SLR reamer as well as the blown taper version?

I had the reamer for the version you see above custom ground by Manson and I used Neil Mckillop for that build. I don't think he has the standard one either but all you can do is ask.

Thanks for all the updates Hunter..... I didn't realise it was you on the range, although I probably should've when you told me the calibre when signing on. I had been toying with a 6.5 SLR to replace the Remmy barrel when it finally cries enough so your posts have been an interesting read.

Thanks for all the updates Hunter..... I didn't realise it was you on the range, although I probably should've when you told me the calibre when signing on. I had been toying with a 6.5 SLR to replace the Remmy barrel when it finally cries enough so your posts have been an interesting read.

Aye that was me. When i started to reel off half the alphabet after you hear "6.5" I'd had switched off aswell. Your more than welcome to have a shot of it next time I'm down

Aye that was me. When i started to reel off half the alphabet after you hear "6.5" I'd had switched off aswell. Your more than welcome to have a shot of it next time I'm down

Good man, I'll take you up on that offer. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

SLRI update.

Finally got a chance to take it out to 1000yrds on paper with recordable results. I have the ability to shoot 1k plus on my land. But that gets old really quickly walking backwards and forwards to the target. 

These results were from the last 1000yrd bench rest match at Dumfries. The conditions were not too bad. I think i had 3.75 MOA of wind dialed to get me on the bull.

Having only shot there a couple of times it has become very apparent that the terrain causes havoc on your vertical with shifting head and tail winds pushing the rounds up or down the target. This is apparent when you were down at the target with majority of really good groups having more vertical than horizontal. It can really mess with your head if your not sure of your set up.

I havn't bothered with the full BR set up with my rifle. Not saying i won't. I just havn't yet and if I'm honest I havnt seen too many Ax Bench Rest rifles :lol: Just a plank of wood vice gripped to the bench to allow bi-pod load and a rear bag. This ended up working out for me taking the smallest group at just over 5" and the lowest of Ag 8"and change. 

I'm currently just over 400 rounds down the barrel. Brass on its 5th firing with hardly any case head swelling to be had *small section of the brass between where the dies finished and the rim starts to rebate* Throat has moved 0.008 from new. 

Screenshot_20171119-212904.jpg

Well done for getting some 'real life' groups.  A nice change from "they all went down one tiny hole" we usually get.

'Vertical' is the curse of the long-range benchrest shooter.  The terrain at Dumfries is not the reason - set-up is everything!

But, half MOA at 1000 yards is good - no matter what rifle, cartridge or set-up.  Keep visiting the Gelston guys.

39 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Well done for getting some 'real life' groups.  A nice change from "they all went down one tiny hole" we usually get.

'Vertical' is the curse of the long-range benchrest shooter.  The terrain at Dumfries is not the reason - set-up is everything!

But, half MOA at 1000 yards is good - no matter what rifle, cartridge or set-up.  Keep visiting the Gelston guys.

Interesting. You learn something something new every day. Although it does make alot of sence. I do find when shooting at distance if you don't have the muscle memory for mounting the rifle exaclty the same every time you can get up to a miunte of vertical stringing when shooting prone. I found this most apparent when shooting slightly up hill if the stock sits too low on the shoulder the rounds have a tendency to drop short and vice versa if too high. Thanks for the info Vince (Y)

Archived