AI sound mod.

Villadave59

Hi all,

Does anyone know who,apart from AI make a sound mod to fit the tactical brake on ax rifle,as the AI mod is in cal 338 lapua regardless of calibre specified, I have a rifle on order in 308,and a slot for 6.5 creedmoor barrel,I may be ok on the 308 with 338 mod but feel it won't do a job on the 6.5 which I have permission for vermin destruction .

I have a spare. tactical brake and hope to make the 6.5 barrel match the profile and look to the same as the standard 308,

Failing this should I maybe find a mod to fit the same thread as the brake Any help/ recommendations appreciated cheers Dave.

Hi,

Thanks for reply ,will contact jms arms ref mod for 6.5, I know the mod from sporting services,for AI in 308 is 338 regardless of the stamp markings ,do you know if it is MAE who make the mod for them cheers.

I am pretty sure that the MAE moderator is only available for the older style single port brake, originally used on the AW.

The AI branded design is only available for the double-baffle tactical brake, as used on the AT, AX308 and AXMC.

I tried to buy one of the OLC moderators for the tactical brake for at least 6 months, but had to give up as he just didn't seem interested in making one as a one-off. In the end I settled for the AI model - a shame, as I would have preferred a stainless steel design.

The only other model that I have heard of for the tactical brake is the new Titanium model from Oceania Defence. At the Phoenix show he told me that he had 6 in stock. However the cost was well over £900!

Edited to add: if you don't mind removing the brake to expose the M18x1.5 thread, there are also Ase Utra models and BR Tuote T8 Reflex, plus probably quite a few of the boutique/custom made UK models from many sources.

post-11576-0-54212600-1497185719.jpg

post-11576-0-85370900-1497185732.jpg

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply,yeh I mailed the guy who makes the titanium mod my local dealer said the quality of his work is stunning but I can't get past the price tag! I've got an ax308 on order I'm told will arrive end of the month,I've still to order a 6.5 barrel in the time I've waited I've been gathering bits and acquired an unused tactical 2014 spare brake to go on the 6.5,it was only after a call to Dave from Valkyrie I found out that the AI mod is one size fits all! Ok on 308 but 338 mod on 6.5 not ideal,

I've admired you green ax on an older post it's stunning! I've been deliberating/saving for two years for this,came close last September but my son is at uni and needed a Mac book pro which set me back for a while,anyway I've took the leap now so can't wait,did you ever get a 6.5 for yours? Thanks again Dave.

We seem to be on a parallel path, as I too saved for 2 years. You won't regret it one bit I assure you.

No, not got the Creedmoor barrel yet. The 0.308 barrel shoots so well and I rarely shoot beyond 600 yards, so I am in no special hurry.

Used the AI moderator for the first time today and the noise suppression seemed pretty decent. Maybe not quite as quiet as an Ase Utra SL7 sized for 0.308, but not bad. Anyway, it should be adequate to keep anyone from moaning when I go up to Bisley!

By the way, the Oceania mod is also sized for 0.338.

One less Charlie make a custom moderator that fits the AI brake. Baldie uses one, there is a review on here somewhere.

I've got one as well; during the RBL match at Bisley last year I was told that it was much quieter than other .308 mods being used.

I should add Oneless Charlie are very good to deal with.

Hi,

Thanks for reply ,will contact jms arms ref mod for 6.5, I know the mod from sporting services,for AI in 308 is 338 regardless of the stamp markings ,do you know if it is MAE who make the mod for them cheers.

The accuracy international moderator is made in-house by AI.

Hi,I'm sure the AI. Mod is great, but in 338 cal.is ok on a .308, but l feel will fall short on the 6.5, I originally planed to get the AI in 308 thinking it would serve both 308 and 6.5,but having spoken to Dave from Valkyrie he explained that all AI mods are in 338 regardless of markings and that it would be ok in 308,but in 6.5 it would not be effective, it may well be that I need to buy a mod for each cal.thanks again for all the informed advice all..

The AI mod isn't huge, and its not particularly heavy. One thing i've noticed on 3 different rifles however....the POI didn't move with the mod on, or off.

Can't explain that one, as its very unusual, but what a Brucie bonus.....

I have the one less Charlie on my AT. It works well on both my barrels 308 & 6.5x47. It's quite heavy though (which is fine as long as your not lugging the rifle about much). He's on here as well. And because the break has the counter clockwise thread it doesn't work loose.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From info I have heard is the AI 338 mod , does not last more than a few hundred rds if lucky , for the same money I would get a ODL  TI can , its what I use on my AI AX 338LM , its 3d printed high grade TI , one piece , it fits good and snug ( unlikely to un-screw by its self which is a problem with virtually all single poiint mount cans ) , it has 2 o-rings , spaced part and once hand tight , I have not seen it unscrew/move by its self .

I Have a AI 338LM can , and it looks like its a high grade aluminium , not likely to last on a 338LM , burning 100grs of powder , OK maybe on a 308 , at 45grs powder .

Later  Chris

Archived