.17 HMR

Orka Akinse

Gents

I was at a hog roast last night and there I was, stood next to a mate when a guy told him that his .17HMR is so powerful it has a completely flat trajectory for over 500yds :o

Now it has to be said, I know nothing about these .17 Calibres but I'm pretty sure he was talkin broccoli :D

Now all I need you guys to do is confirm it, so would ya please......... ;)

Gents

I was at a hog roast last night and there I was, stood next to a mate when a guy told him that his .17HMR is so powerful it has a completely flat trajectory for over 500yds :o

Now it has to be said, I know nothing about these .17 Calibres but I'm pretty sure he was talkin broccoli :D

i had one of them there HMRs when they first came out, and they are very flat shooting, so flat that i aimed straight at something 500y away and missed what i was aiming at,but the bullet hit me in the back of my head, :o now that's flat shooting :o:(;)

ATB

Colin :D

I had the same thing last year on one of our shoot days, a guy new to the shoot said how he was shooting bunnies @300 yards :) Sometimes it's better to go along with it, even though you know they are talking out their ar**

300yd bunnies could definitely be possible with the HMR but not recommended it's often hard enough at that range with a .223, and unless the shooter and conditions were always perfect then it's consistently unlikely.

You could always count in the lucky shots but that not what hunting live quarry is all about IMHO, shooting papers a different matter it can be good fun.

I have got a Sako Quad .17HMR and am confident shooting off a bi-pod out to 200yds with it, consistent clean kills.

Davo: My experiences with the 17HMR are just the opposite of yours. Using the V-Max bullets I have had a hard time getting consistent kills at 100 yards on Montana prairiedogs. It wasn't always this way: there was a time when the bullets expanded reliably every time. Now many pass through. I have slightly better luck with the TNT HP's.

On paper, the HMR's a dream. I have shot groups as small as 1.2" at 200M on a windless morning using my custom barreled Ruger 77/17. In the field, I have found ammo variability to play havoc with my shooting.

I have made some very long shots with the HMR but like you, I wouldn't recommend it.~Andrew

• 2 years later...

Gents

Now it has to be said, I know nothing about these .17 Calibres but I'm pretty sure he was talkin ###### :D

OH DEAR. I have used a .17 for 2 years now and it is what i would call "flat" out to about 100yards and by flat i mean the bullet will drop less than an inch at that distance but beyond that it starts to drop off considerably. Even if he was talking about one of the .17 centrefires he is still talking b*****ks.

Let us not forget that the mighty 17HMR hits with almost 24 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards.~Andrew

it only takes 4ftlb of energy to kill a rabbit with a head shot.

Archived