TRG22 or AI AT ?

Tikka4Sika

The TRG is lighter and a bit easier for stalking than the AI. The second hand package on here is a good option however you really do need to have a go with both. The barrel change on the AI would swing it for me if I was buying from new.

I have an AT and to be hnoest, I can not fault it - best rifle I own.

Well built, solid (not the lightest), will hold its value and has the benefit of switch barrel in the future when funds and needs require.

I have never owned an AT but I did own an AI AW in .308 for a while, I sold that and went for a TRG. None shoot better than the other in my opinion but what my own personal findings are is that the TRG seems to "behave" better and certainly carries better both in your hands and on a sling.

Both are heavy in comparison to a "normal" sporting rifle but I have used a TRG as my main contracting rifle now for several years, I am on my second TRG as I was offered way more than it was worth by a client that just HAD to own it. Neither the AI or the TRG ever let me down, Period. I went through 2 barrels with my first TRG of hard contracting work so that was a fair amount of lead through them.

I have come to the conclusion sadly that my TRG needs to go, Only due to an ongoing recurring knee injury and I need something much lighter when going up the hills. If I had to choose again it would be TRG all the way but that's just my choice. As others have said try and get behind both and see what suits YOU the best. Quality wise it really is splitting hairs in my opinion and you will be happy with either or both.

PS.... I have a cracking TRG for sale in the classified section Ha Ha :D

Kind regards Bob.

ok , I owned a TRG and they are awesome for your intended purpose the AT is also an awesome rifle but do you need a rifle that is built to withstand military service ? I doubt there is much in it accuracy wise , I always found the trg more comfortable but I'm a big old lump !

but the TRG and spend the saving on the optics ?

I own an AT and they are incredibly well made and very accurate. The barrel change feature is brilliant and returns to perfect zero after a calibre / barrel change. Yes they are heavy but heavy is reliable!!

Go for the AT you won't regret it. I may be wrong but i believe the TRG design has not changed in many years, old technology..... ?

The TRG safety inside the trigger guard always concerns me.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a TRG22 a few years back and have just got an AI - the AXMC but in 308 conversion

I love both - I have had the TRG longer and pimped it with KRG folding stock (the sako one looks crude and is ludicrously expensive as per any ancillary that Beretta gets to price) and a shooting shed bag rider

both have good glass - Nightforce NXS 8-32 on the TRG and an IOR recon on the AI - both are very good at 800 yards and less - could go further but will struggle against a dedicated FTR with a 30-32" barrel

neither are light although the TRG is lighter - on cost the base TRG is cheaper but the accessories are super expensive (check out the price of mags, spares, bipod etc) and I would be cautious of Beretta on customer service ... and I own Beretta 687 EELL and 692 shotguns.

One thing I found is that the TRG was harder to get shooting really well - admittedly I had a learning curve when I first went fullbore and it is set up nicely now but it is fussy about bullets, charge weight and seating depth - the AI is a laser with the NRA's GGG imperial - it shot really well yesterday on its second outing despite the heat, me sweating away and squinting through the mirage

that said - I am a data point of one and I have read that loads of people find their TRG's unfussy

upshot - both great rifles - I would look at second hand options - nearly new high end optics are a great buy on here or stalking directory and I bought the TRG from here and never regretted it - saved a fortune - the AI was an extravagance - had I not wanted the long action I would have gone for the AT and got a 6.5creedmoor barrel as well - for the that reason, as a single rifle - the AT feels more versatile

I started with a TRG22 a few years back and have just got an AI - the AXMC but in 308 conversion

I love both - I have had the TRG longer and pimped it with KRG folding stock (the sako one looks crude and is ludicrously expensive as per any ancillary that Beretta gets to price) and a shooting shed bag rider

both have good glass - Nightforce NXS 8-32 on the TRG and an IOR recon on the AI - both are very good at 800 yards and less - could go further but will struggle against a dedicated FTR with a 30-32" barrel

neither are light although the TRG is lighter - on cost the base TRG is cheaper but the accessories are super expensive (check out the price of mags, spares, bipod etc) and I would be cautious of Beretta on customer service ... and I own Beretta 687 EELL and 692 shotguns.

One thing I found is that the TRG was harder to get shooting really well - admittedly I had a learning curve when I first went fullbore and it is set up nicely now but it is fussy about bullets, charge weight and seating depth - the AI is a laser with the NRA's GGG imperial - it shot really well yesterday on its second outing despite the heat, me sweating away and squinting through the mirage

that said - I am a data point of one and I have read that loads of people find their TRG's unfussy

upshot - both great rifles - I would look at second hand options - nearly new high end optics are a great buy on here or stalking directory and I bought the TRG from here and never regretted it - saved a fortune - the AI was an extravagance - had I not wanted the long action I would have gone for the AT and got a 6.5creedmoor barrel as well - for the that reason, as a single rifle - the AT feels more versatile

Thanks for that .

Having shot both and owned both I would go for the TRG if you intend to hunt with it.

Accuracy wise there is nothing really between them, build wise I preferred the TRG the AI was more ... Agricultural...

Both require close attention to reloads to obtain maximum accuracy...

Nice to have choices isn't it

I have to disagree.

The TRG trigger is lovely.....when it works. I've now seen 3 different guns in the last 12 months with faulty triggers....basically they were worn out. The unit is overly complicated, and definately not user friendly. One turn too much on the adjustment, and it all goes to hell in a handcart.

Trg,s are usually very accurate.

The AI doesn't break. I,m servicing police rifles that have not seen an armourer in 20 years, and still work perfectly.

They also seem to shoot anything you shove in them. My AX 308 even shoots black spot....and that is utter sheeite. I only tried it for devilment.

The TRG will probably be lighter for stalking, but not by much.

I would not want sand, heather and peat in that trigger though.

The new TRG trigger has sorted any previous issues and is not as adjustable as the old one. As such it is more robust. Generally the issues were to do with users setting the trigger pull lighter than recommended and causing wear. Not great admittedly.

Saying that I have owned a TRG which I regretted selling. I had planned on buying an AX308 but the weight put me off. A TRG came up at a reasonable price and I couldn't resist. It is sat with Ronin awaiting a 6.5X47 barrel. It will be used for stalking and any comps I enter now the back is on the mend.

Anybody know what is reckoned to be the right setting for the old two stage TRG triggers??

I have the dual adjustment version that I understand is potentially troublesome and dialled the pull weight down recently

I think I will put it back to avoid the wear that is being mentioned.

I agree with Baldies point that the AI seem to be very forgiving on ammo - I put a ten round mag of NRA GGG into my last target when load testing for the 308 barrel on my AI-AXMC. It is match ammo but factory - it was a .7 inch group and would have been a tight 1/2 moa group for 9 shots if I excluded one - The only downside was i wondered what I was doing spending all that time on the loading bench although it could be the AI prefers 155 SMKs to 155 scenars which is what I load with.

it was quite punchy as well - 2870 fps out of my 24" barrel+ AI 338 mod

The SMK will be closer to a Tangent ogive.These jump better. However, i've always had great success with the 167 scenar. This too is nearer a tangent ogive than secant, and it jumps exceptionally well.

I have a 7.62 chambered AX. Its throat is long. When the rifle was brand new, i loaded up 10 x 10 rounds, going up to lands and starting at 0.100" off.

I shot 10 groups, side by side.

Astonishingly, there was virtually no difference in group size. Not enough to prompt any more seating depth fiddling.

I loaded at the vhit OAL and left it at that. The 167/vhit150 was their "accuracy" load, and it seems to suit any AI and also most .308 win's.

AI - there is more lust for them and hence better second hand value.

The switch barrel is an additional feature that in theory makes them more attractive, but it would be interesting to know the proportion of shooters who own a switch barrel rifle (not just the AI's) and ever change the calibre.

+1 on Dave's 167 Scenar load. It works - end of.

+1 on Chanonry's comment about the AI lust value. I had a TRG which was perfect but I regrettably sold it. But it took a while to shift. Due to the lust factor of an AI they don't stay on the shelf for long.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Baldy , being cynical I Googled trigger problems and it appears there are some out there who have suffered , is there an aftermarket trigger available for the TRG?

Yes i believe KRG have one available soon.

Archived