For those guys with switch barrels.....

markymark

Hoping you can help. This is very much an idea in its infancy, a pipe dream but i'm giving it some though.

I currently have a 6.5CM on my ticket which is unused, and currently own a .308 (or two). Thinking forward my 6.5CM is going to cost me around £1500 plus optics. Now for years I have swooned over AI's but never thought I would own one. I can seriously giving some thought to selling a good few rifles, putting the money I was going to put towards the 6.5 project and get a switch barrel. I was thinking AI AT or AX308. Not switch barrel between magnum calibre's just between .308 & 6.5CM.

Now this doesn't make financial sense, but would take a large sting out of it.

So to the guys this applies to, how do you run your optic on a which barrel? Do you own one, then know the drops between the two calibre's or own two scopes, zeroed to each and swap out on a QD system? How well is the return to zero and in real life terms do you like having one rifle or given the chance again you would own two separate ones?

How does your issuing force manage the switch barrel on your ticket? In this example would the AI AX308 show as your .308 and under the 6.5CM just shown as a spare barrel with the same serial number as the .308?

Thoughts welcome please.

Cheers,

Mark

Got lots of switch barrels. Why not?

Just keep a note of your scope settings - most comps I shoot in allow a couple of sighters so no problem.

On your ticket, your spare barrel won't have a serial no.

Hoping you can help. This is very much an idea in its infancy, a pipe dream but i'm giving it some though.

I currently have a 6.5CM on my ticket which is unused, and currently own a .308 (or two). Thinking forward my 6.5CM is going to cost me around £1500 plus optics. Now for years I have swooned over AI's but never thought I would own one. I can seriously giving some thought to selling a good few rifles, putting the money I was going to put towards the 6.5 project and get a switch barrel. I was thinking AI AT or AX308. Not switch barrel between magnum calibre's just between .308 & 6.5CM.

Now this doesn't make financial sense, but would take a large sting out of it.

So to the guys this applies to, how do you run your optic on a which barrel? Do you own one, then know the drops between the two calibre's or own two scopes, zeroed to each and swap out on a QD system? How well is the return to zero and in real life terms do you like having one rifle or given the chance again you would own two separate ones?

How does your issuing force manage the switch barrel on your ticket? In this example would the AI AX308 show as your .308 and under the 6.5CM just shown as a spare barrel with the same serial number as the .308?

Thoughts welcome please.

Cheers,

Mark

I have an AXMC with .338 and .308 barrel

For the scope I usually shoot .308 so it's zeroed for that.

I fitted the .338 barrel and then took note of how much it was out at 100m and just factor that in when using the odd bit of .338.

For the time when I want to spend the day shooting .338 at long range I zero it for the .338 and slip the turrets

For my ticket this was my first rifle so what I did was my RFD purchased the .338 with the .308 barrel and mod kit as AI would not sell as just .308.

He then kept the .338 barrel and bolt and sold me the .308 rifle which I had on my ticket. I gave him a deposit for the .338 parts which he kept.

After I'd been shooting about a year I put in for the .338 barrel and that was added to my ticket.

Not sure what my ticket reads, I'm away right now.

I shoot a 7,62x51 Accuracy International with a second barrel. Lincolnshire list the second as 'Barrel - 6,5x47' for my AI, plus an ammunition allocation. The rifle is kept in the 6,5x47 configuration however my FEO is happy with the way things are.

On your ticket, your spare barrel won't have a serial no.

Oh no ... ... ... mine does. Sauer barrels have serial numbers different to the rifle if purchased as a spare, likewise spare bolts.

I shoot a 7,62x51 Accuracy International with a second barrel. Lincolnshire list the second as 'Barrel - 6,5x47' for my AI, plus an ammunition allocation. The rifle is kept in the 6,5x47 configuration however my FEO is happy with the way things are.

Similar here, I've had a switch-barrel rifle (Sauer) for almost thirty years. Additional barrels can be added FoC as they don't increase the number of firearms. My spare is just listed as ".308 Barrel for Sauer rifle # xxx" ... ... ... Simples.

We have two switch barrel rifles, and several additional barrels.

For each rifle and its first barrel, Mr Plod placed it on our certificate as 'Switch barrel rifle, calibre .308' (or whatever calibre it was). Additional barrels were then added as "Spare barrel, calibre "X", no serial number"

Thank you all, think I will just need to contact TVP to see what the score is with them if I decide to go ahead with it. I thought a spare slot on each .308 & 6.5CM that would do it, but might not be so simple.

So is everyone happy and buy into the idea of a switch barrel? You think its a worth while, or in hind sight would you have two rifles? What are peoples motivations.... to save money? To save cabinet space? To have one platform they know inside out and is very familiar with?

I haven't yet convinced myself if thats what I want..... am I exploring this option as its the only way I could ever get into AI ownership. Are there more pro's to cons? Or do I want two separate rifles, and two tools and use them independently?

Your help is appreciated.....

Thank you

Ahhh Thames Valley... mine is listed as 6.5x47 rifle, and .300 magnum barrel and action. Not how I wanted it written, as it doesn't seem very clear, but it's what they wanted!

As I needed a separate bolt for my AI, and the bolt is pressure bearing, ideally it would say bolt and barrel. You may get on better if they are both on the same bolt face.

Also, my motivation: one rifle, one scope, everything is perfect and the same feel. It saves money, my 6.5x47 is my general purpose rifle, and I can switch it up for a windy long range day if I want, without losing familiarity.

I've kept my foxing rifle, as the AI is a bit heavy for getting out the truck quickly with. Whilst it's possible, it's just not ideal. I'm not keen on 6.5mm in smaller fields either, larger arable fields with a good backstop and it's good for a windy night.

I have an AI switch barrel .308 to .260 Rem. I find it a complete pain to have to keep re-zeroing between the two and find I just shoot one more than the other out of convenience. At some point, I'll buy another AI and have two rifles set up with each calibre. Can you make switch barrels work...absolutely. Is it the best solution...depends on your funds and needs.

I have an AI switch barrel .308 to .260 Rem. I find it a complete pain to have to keep re-zeroing between the two and find I just shoot one more than the other out of convenience. At some point, I'll buy another AI and have two rifles set up with each calibre. Can you make switch barrels work...absolutely. Is it the best solution...depends on your funds and needs.

I have to say that's my experience too. I have a 243 & 308 switch barrel. Haven't used it in 308 configuration for 3 years this September. I have been tempted to get another action and scope and make a new gun out of them.

The AT with its switch barrel system is becoming very popular indeed.

I do a .308 rifle with a 6.5 cm or a 6.5 x 47 every ten days, these days.

No two differing calibre will give you the same zero point, but putting the same calibre back on the AT/Ax will retain its zero to usually within one click. Thats providing you use a quality torque wrench.

Hi I also have a DTA switch barrel (6.5x47 and .308) and once the two zero's have been found it is an easy swop.The balistic software i use can be switched between barrels and allows for the imput of the different zero heights and works out drops perfectly.

You will probably end up leaving one barrel on most of the time once you get use to the rifle my .308 hardly see light of day.

the MET police just list the swop barrel as a; DTA .308 barrel no serial number

Archived