UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
maltbuck

PPC on a BR bolt face.

Whilst recognising the difference in size between a ppc and br bolt faces, is it possible to build a ppc calibre on a BR bolt face and still get reliable extraction etc?

The thought process being to order a BAT single shot action with a Sako extractor being specified, thus if I decide at a later date that the 6 ppc is too much of a pain to produce the brass I can simply rechamber in 6mmBR?

Many thanks,

Maltbuck

Probably - yes. A lot of the Yanks spec. a 308 boltface as it makes the action more versatile.

I've opened up one or two 6PPC bolt-faces (on Stolles not BAT) to make the gun more versatile as a switch barrel and they still extract when used as a 6PPC. However, these actions don't use a Sako-style extractor.

But, unless you intend to shoot competitive benchrest, I see no point in running a 6PPC over a 6mmBR.

Many thanks for the reply.

The initial calibre would either be a 20 or 22 ppc (the 6ppc was typo). The reason for using a non ppc bolt head dia, would be future proofing i.e. if I decided that neck turning / fireforming was just too much hassle, I would simply re chamber in 6mm BR shooting an 87-95 grain bullet.

Regards,

MB

Why not just run a 220 Russian? No fire-forming or neck turning. Superb Lapua brass.

Outside of serious BR competition, there's no advantage by converting it to 22PPC.

Why not just run a 220 Russian? No fire-forming or neck turning. Superb Lapua brass.

Outside of serious BR competition, there's no advantage by converting it to 22PPC.

Or just use the 22 PPC USA, you don't have to do a thing then? I just brought 200 new cases from Norma? I had absolutely no trouble getting them. I'm pretty sure Sako still make cases and ammo too.