Best barrels out there and their availability in the UK

deerman

Alan,

To prevent this becoming circular and well off subject, lets make it binary:

You agree with your client the full spec and expected minimum accuracy (with caveats!) before the build: yes/no?

If the rifle does not meet the agreed spec. and performance you will put it right, at no extra charge, in a reasonable, defined time frame: yes/no?

Brgds T

Alan,

To prevent this becoming circular and well off subject, lets make it binary:

You agree with your client the full spec and expected minimum accuracy (with caveats!) before the build: yes/no?

If the rifle does not meet the agreed spec. and performance you will put it right, at no extra charge, in a reasonable, defined time frame: yes/no?

Brgds T

Without any doubt my answer is yes Terry to both of your questions.

Having said that, Ive never had a rifle that didn't meet the agreed criteria and accuracy so far. Only occasionally Ive had to take an advisory role in load development to ensure it was done thoroughly and correctly so we arrived at the levels set out in our 'contract'. I dont actually quote accuracy figures per se, I just show a prospective customer the results from rifles built previously in that caliber and of a similar hardware spec but then again Im not quoting 0.5moa at 100yds, that would be easy and any build/rebarrel will do that with minimum load development.

As I said earlier though, this isn't about me or how I run my business, I have no concerns about how I build my rifles and how I look after my customers. I would guess that we would both be in agreement about how things should be.

I simply commented on what you said here about returning the rifle because I dont think the reality of people being able to do this every time with every rifle builder is as simple as you unintentionally made it look. Im not suggesting your trying to deceive anyone here, maybe you have had few problems or have dealt with the good guys who always looked after you well but I know that isn't always how it goes.

I know from recent conversations and experiences of what people bring me that sometimes when things dont go smoothly or when accuracy hasn't been whats expected the support you have suggested isn't always there from the guy who built the rifle for them, sad but true from what I can see.

DH,

Personnaly I do not think you can put a label on which are the best barrels over any other - how do you define what are the 'deliverables'? Possibly looking at who's won what using which make?

You could list which barrels people have had good experiences with but a 'good' barrel fitted but a 'less than good' Smith probably negates any quality barrel.

I have had 'good' experiences with the following barrels, some more than once and in no order of merit,

CF: Schultz & Larsen, Bartlien, Kreiger, Lilja, Benchmark, Shilen, Douglas, Border, Broughton,

BPCR: Badger, Green Mountain, Shiloh.

22RF: Benchmark, Green Mountain, Anschultz

But my original point stands, work out what you want from the rifle then find a Smith who you are happy to deal with and agree everything before you start, cost, delivery time etc. Then there are no surprises or disappointments.

T

Cant honestly name a best barrel in my user experience but only used two Smiths spanning some 20 years I guess,,,,Russ Gall and Neil Mckillop.Russ favoured Kreiger for the time he looked after me and others who followed my recommendation,,,,,,absolutely top drawer ,,,as is,,,,,Neil,,,and has fitted Bartlein,,Border and Pacnor to equal satisfaction and unable to tell any difference in barrel performance once load development has taken place.All makes have exhibited the 100 yd .2,s and .3,s sort of performance that the common man good shooter should be able to achieve on a good day...even .2,s and .3,s do not come easy and demand huge input in shooter and launch platform.Recent builds by Neil have used Bartlein barrels in 22PPC and 6BR,,,both shot under .5 c to c at 200 yards this weekend in good conditions,,,,All barrels in the non burner cals seem to wane a bit after 2.5/3k of slow single shot use,,,,,,,O

Its all well and good having a sub moa rifle built, but if your marksmanship skills run a little larger.. :D .

Having the most accurate rifle you can is an advantage regardless of your shooting ability.

If you know your rifle can shoot in the 0.2s when used competently then if your not doing that you then know its pilot error and it gives you something to work towards, improving your technique.

Not knowing if the poor groups are down to you are the rifle is a difficult and frustrating situation to be in.

There is no doubt that Bartlein and Krieger are excellent barrels. Have has great results with both. Having said that, my most accurate rifle has a Shilen though it is a 6.5x47..

I can only ditto the gunsmith variable. A poor one will turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i got my 22.250 rebarreled a few years ago by Grant Taylor in Dundee as my family new him rather well & he was local to me. He got a true flite ultra match barrel in 22 cal 1-12 twist. Did a basic blue print on a remmy 700 action with tub lug. Skim bedded into an h-s stock & this rifle has proved with 50g52g/55g/60g & 64g bullets to be unreal accuracy as in .2 for 5 shots. It cleans so easy & shoots bang on zero after a clean it dose not move. First year I had it I went to SGA Rifle shoot at Blair atholl & come second with 52g A-amax. I did win but they took points off me that put me to second. I then got a Borden alpine action & got Grant Taylor do build me a 6.5x47 again he said true flite barrel so I went with it in 24" ultra match contour 4 & it shoots .2/.3 easy for 5 shots & again it shots bang on after cleaning & can with both rifles on a good day have 3 shots at 500yrd cluster to hold within a inch & half of each other. My shooting has let me down at rifle shoots with no rear bag but that's down to my technique I need to do more practice. I'm looking at a 284 now & Grant still pushes the true flite ultra match barrels & with my results I'm happy to. I would like to try others but happy for now with the true flite

Archived