Update on New Mile Long Range

This is looking great. Depending on rules of use/membership would be looking to go once a month. I'm in Stirling so if car sharing would suit anyone drop me an email!.

Any word on what we can shoot?

Can I come hurl 300 grainers at the gongs with my .338 once it's done?

• 4 weeks later...

From what I remember anything up to and including 50cal certainly isn't a problem.

Couple of photos from the 1 mile gong point taken yesterday,

post-13935-0-42958800-1498839725_thumb.jpg

post-13935-0-46630400-1498839727_thumb.jpg

Looking back towards the firing point (top right hill)

post-13935-0-18403400-1498839729_thumb.jpg

Closer shot of the firing point hill (the white "spots" on the rear most hill)

post-13935-0-48178300-1498839731_thumb.jpg

Costs,

We were told shooting on the 1 mile range would be by club members only.

Club membership is £100 Feb to Feb with about 300 current members.

For the 25/50/100m indoor seated club venue it's an additional £20 per visit.

For the 1 mile range it's an additional £50 per visit.

Members will have a probationary period and assessment at the 25/50/100m venue before being able to shoot on the 1 mile range regardless of having an FAC or NRA Shooter Certification Card etc.

Looks great!

Presumably there will be oportunities to shoot distances between the 100m and 1 mile distances :huh: , yes?

Just wondering how this would work. Will there be like multi distance days or will it be a dedicated distance range per weekend i.e. 600m one weekend and 300m another?

It looks like a nice set up, given the weather, and I understand that it's all got to paid for BUT, and it's a big one. The costs, from my limited understanding, are prohibitively high.

My understanding is, that if I shot once a month for a year on the longer range it would cost me £700 in range fees etc. Am I missing something?

I don't know what is usually paid at the various ranges round the country, so I don't know if Gardeners is above average, but I pay £120 for a years access to a range with similar and longer distances once a month.

If it's for you, fill your boots, the accommodation looks nice and as a business it has lots of potential. I hope it works for those that have put the time/money/graft into it.

Wondering if I am missing something here...As a member of the FCSA and other clubs I shoot regularly at ranges from 25 -1500 yds but if wanting to shoot at this new range I will have to do 6 months at up to 100 yds as a proby ? Sounds daft to me and could well put a few people off?

We weren't given a fixed timescale for the "probationary" period, from what I gathered new members would be evaluated individually so the period could be only a few visits.

For myself and my son I worked it out as follows for 10 visits a year, 5 to the 25/50/100 and 5 to the 1 mile.

Membership - £200

3 trips to "qualify" and a further 2 visits to the 25/50/100 range - £200 range fees + £100 petrol (160 mile round trip)

5 trips to the 1 mile range - £500 range fees + £100 petrol

So roughly for the year, £1,100

Our club only has access to military ranges, for a half day shoot using 10 lanes it costs just under £300. Some days (on a morning shoot) we can be there for 08:30 but not get clearance to shoot until 09:30 - 10:00, we then have to be off by 12:30. Allowing time for cleaning the range, changing details, moving back from 100 to 300/600 etc. only leaves around 60-90mins of actual shooting time.

We shoot at two MOD/Landmarc ranges, Ponteland (2 ranges, 100-300 & 100-600) and if we can get it Otterburn (several ranges up to 1000m+). Ponteland is usually OK and we get about 10 visits per year with just the odd cancelation. Otterburn is a different matter, we can only shoot there when there's a military presence on one of the ranges. Several times over the last year or two we've arrived (130 mile round trip) only to be told that we can't shoot that day, communication from them isn't great.

The purpose of our visit was to try and sort out some sort of affiliate membership for the whole club with the option to block book either the 25/50/100 or 1 mile range for our use once a month but that simply isn't an option that's available.

We also have an offer from another club to shoot with them at 1,000m, £25 per visit as a guest or £60 membership and £15 per shoot.

If you really want a fright, try costing your shooting factoring in everything including transport, range hire, markers fees, consumables etc. to arrive at a £'s per pull of the trigger. Then put that sum on a label, and stick it on the outside of your rifle case/dragbag whatever.

Or better still, don't............... :( :( :(

RePete

We weren't given a fixed timescale for the "probationary" period, from what I gathered new members would be evaluated individually so the period could be only a few visits.

The sport as a whole makes things too hard.

If you are qualified and certified at another club what's the point of making people jump through hoops. The police and clubs have already done that. I am sure they will quote all sorts of serious sounding reasons but the reality is its just being parochial and short sighted. Old Boys legacy I suppose.

If they don't want to welcome qualified people to shoot, then f_uck them. Shoot somewhere else.

I asked this question earlier but no answer, how did it get passed for a .50 cal with the right to roam. Surely it needs to be fenced flags etc

Has it been passed by the Scottish police as I've not heard anything.

Is it an open ticket venue or can anyone with a target condition on their fac use it.

With the right to roam are there going to be red flags everywhere.

Andrew

Has it been passed by the Scottish police as I've not heard anything.

Is it an open ticket venue or can anyone with a target condition on their fac use it.

With the right to roam are there going to be red flags everywhere.

Andrew

I asked this question earlier but no answer, how did it get passed for a .50 cal with the right to roam. Surely it needs to be fenced flags etc

So it's eleven hundred pounds ($1400+ US) a year? For ten visits? Not exactly an every-man's league. I got looking at the photos. I asked earlier, and didn't get an answer so I don't know which target is which, but some of those targets seem to be 5 ft in diameter. Is that enough of a challenge to warrant that fee? Even at a mile? ~Andrew

Hi Andrew :)

I know Montana is only a tiny place so if you bump into 3 English people over there for a visit (in Helena) tell them I said Hi :D :D

The £1,100 would be for 2 of us but yes, it's still a lot of money.

The centre "hole" of the 1 mile target will have a sensor fitted behind it so shots going through the hole will set off a flashing light type of signal.

As to the earlier questions about the ranges viability, pricing, land clearance and access issues etc. I really don't know, we were told the range had been fully cleared for any calibre.

Hi Andrew :)

I know Montana is only a tiny place so if you bump into 3 English people over there for a visit (in Helena) tell them I said Hi :D :D

Will do!

If the disc with the cut out is the Mile target I can get a rough ideal of the size. Thanks! ~Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Got up to Eskdalemuir to have a look at the Range on Saturday - fabulous facility - though unfortunately the weather was not good. Had a good chat with Mark though and enjoyed the quad-bike ride!

It'd be good to have some one mile comps here - similar format to the one currently featured on 6mmBR.com

How did it go on Sunday Rob? Did you get to shoot?

• 2 weeks later...

Vince,

First read of this thread and that occurred to me -location for 1 mile comp, but the stated requirements for using the 1 mile range prevents this - unless all the competitors joined and traipsed up there to shoot at 100m 5 times - or have I read this wrong?

They have a great facility by the looks of it and with 300 members already there is no need to cater of additional shooters, and to be honest if it works for them then 'my house my rules' is fair enough.

T

Ps I think the 1 mile range in France is closer to me (and more chance of good weather/food/wine etc. :) )

Got up to Eskdalemuir to have a look at the Range on Saturday - fabulous facility - though unfortunately the weather was not good. Had a good chat with Mark though and enjoyed the quad-bike ride!

It'd be good to have some one mile comps here - similar format to the one currently featured on 6mmBR.com

How did it go on Sunday Rob? Did you get to shoot?

Hi Vince,

Went up on the Sunday, a great shoot had by all.

The location gets even better, more targets, greater distances to shoot from (possibility of shooting from 2 miles)

Took my 6.5x47 good to 1250 meters, after that - its time for something with a bit more ommmph.

Vince/Jeff/Gents.

The range is still in its infancy with a fair bit of work still to do. We are up there this Sunday for a club comp. The potential is clear. The option of 2miles is realistic. It all takes money and that is a major concern. Once the tent is replaced with a more permanent firing point/bothy we will get the road finished right up to the firing point. The bothy will have WC (chemical as there is no water access) and tea coffee making facilities.

There are currently around 20 gongs ranging from 3" at 300 yards to a milk bottle shape at 1000 yards and enough variety to make it a challenge for the experts. The furthest (at present) is at 1350 yards. The 1000 yards does indeed flash if you are successful. More will be added when we can afford them.

This range isn't suitable for F Class. However the second option near the village will be eminently suitable for F Class and more formal target shooting. The roads are in and we are just waiting for planning permission for a club house.Hopefully we will have electronic targets along the lines of Silver Mountain. Its all about cost.I accept that the cost is high and needs to be looked at.

Both ranges are approved for any centre fire calibre.

Spiker

Archived