Galloway 1000 yard BenchRest Shoot - 14 May 2017

Panda

Early(ish) on Sunday morning, Darrel, Lewis and yours truly are on site to set up the firing point and targets ready for the shoot but Darrel has some disappointing news – due to call-offs on Saturday it looks like we’re going to be down to only 8 competitors arriving. Oh well, an early finish is on the horizon for once, however a strange motor appears. The visitors that didn’t make it last month have arrived. Welcome guys, it’s good to meet you all. With the new arrivals we’ll have 3 details to run but that’s ok as it gives the organisers time to allow people unused to shooting 1000 yards to have a go without the pressure of time pushing them on.

1st detail and it’s obvious it’s going to be a bit of a mix of classes to allow for ROs and scorers to change over to allow the competition to run. 1st up are 2 light guns, a factory sporter and the only heavy gun of the day in the hands of visitor Richard Hampton. With Glyn, our resident spotter behind his scope all are rapidly sighted in and it is very apparent that Richard has shot at long range before. Weather – it’s dry and the wind is significantly lighter than in both the previous shoots this year, although there’s a bit of a twitch to it fish-tailing from 3 o’clock to 12 o’clock. Relay 1 – and the wind looks like it’s catching everyone out with a 12, 17 & 20” group on the board but Davie Sharp after winning factory sporter last month pushes the limit of the ruler with a 41” group. Relay 2 – let’s see if anyone picks the wind this time. Peter Cousar confuses the scorers when they find 7 holes in his target, Davie Rankin improves into the 10s and a potential closest the bull for the day, Davie Sharp improves to a 31 but wait, there’s 2 penalties to add to this. Is this where the extra shots on Peter’s targets have come from? No, the scorers are confirming that the extra holes weren’t .308 in Peter’s target. Richard slipping out to a 21” but his vertical is impressive at only 1.5” spread. Relay 3 – Peter about the same score (with only 5 on target this time), Mr Rankin out to the 15s, Davie sharp – 5 penalties!! Richard an impressive 9” score but we’ve found Davie’s missing shots. Yep, he’s fallen to the bug we all suffer at some point and cross-shot. Relay 4 – a 25, 13, 20 and 12” respectively to finish.

2nd detail and we have 2 light guns and another factory sporter on the benches. Bench 4 is occupied by another visitor, Martin Bell, who had the forethought to bring his rifle with him in the chance of having a go despite not wanting to compete. Relay 1 – and Glyn Cartwright is off to a good start registering a 7.991”, let’s see if he can keep it up. John Gilpin using a 6BR is in the 18s, the wind is picking up. I’m on the score sheet with a 14, not great but after last month’s mechanical problems I can live with it. Martin on bench 4 has a massive smile on him. He’s never shot at 1000 yards before but records a 34” after deciding to have a go at the target. It’s really good to see people get on target with their 1st shoot and the smile on his face said it all. Relay 2 – Glyn slips slightly to a 9, john improves to a 12 and I’m down into the low 5s. Relay 3 – Glyn continues his run, in the 10s this time, John gets bitten by the wind, out to 33 and I slip to a mid 8. Relay 4 – Glyn gets bitten this time as the wind increases, it’s a 30, John waits and gets down to a 15 and I’m out at 14 again after missing the port with my 3rd round and while fumbling to pick it up loose the wind window I was shooting in (only 6moa on this month compared to the 12 -13 in the last 2 shoots).

Time for a change of staff in the butts and yet another RO taking over and it’s straight into the 3rd detail, comprising 2 light guns and a factory sporter. Glyn graciously offers his rifle and remaining unsorted ammo to Richard Welsh to have a go. Relay 1 – Lewis is in the 17s, his dad on the next bench in the 12s and Rob with his factory rifle is out in the 41s. Relay 2 – Lewis improves to a 10 but wait for it, his bullet holes are all at the top of the target (it’s just as well we have some tall guys scoring!) and 1 has gone over the top so 1 penalty to add. Darrel slips slightly to a 15 and Rob takes his down to a 22 this time. Relay 3 – Lewis has a 14 but this time with 2 penalties after failing to alter his sights (every day is a learning day Lewis), Darrel reduces his to a 13 but Rob is back out at almost 42. Final relay of the day – Lewis back on the board with all his rounds at a 17, Darrel beating him again with a 12 and to round the day off, Rob is down in the 18s this time.

That’s it. The shooting is over after what feels a very short day and we’re all packed up before 3pm. To all the visitors, we hope you enjoyed your day at the range and the usual banter that goes with it. You’re welcome back any time. So, to the results.

Factory Sporter:

1st David Leslie – 10.679”

2nd Rob Wilson – 31.053”

3rd David Sharp – 40.738”

Light Gun:

1st Darrel McIlreavy – 13.267”

2nd Glyn Cartwright – 14.684”

3rd David Rankin – 15.088”

Heavy Gun:

1st Richard Hampton – 15.462”

Closest the Bull – David Rankin 0.699”

Next Shoots:

Jackson’s – 28th May

Gelston – 11th June

Safe shooting everyone.

Results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqwl9q2z5bs5tth/Gelston%20Results%2014%20May%202017.xlsx?dl=0

League

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3ldd6kso0coe8v/Gelston%202017%20League.xlsx?dl=0

Archived