Diggle Egg Shoot - 29th May Bank Holiday Monday

Just four weeks to the Diggle Egg Shoot. This will be our 20th Egg Shoot and probably the last so, if you haven't shot this unusual competition, this could be your last chance.

We usually give £100 to any shooter breaking the Egg at 500 yards - as this is the last one, I'll try and see if we can up the prize money.

Enter on the day - start around 9.00am.

Rules? There are none - any rifle, any sights, any rest - as long as you can carry it to the firing-point. But, one rifle only and no sharing rifles.

Well I hope someone does pick up the reins and carry on Vince but in the meantime thank you for the ones I've managed to attend, they have been great fun. Hope to make it on the 29th.

I think the UK shooting community as a whole (no matter what discipline they practice) owe you a huge debt of thanks Vince for the tireless work youve carried out not only at Diggle, but for promoting shooting nationally and internationally.

(not that im writing your epitaph) :)

Hello Vince, very sorry to hear that this could be the last one!

Both the egg and fly shoot are very enjoyable events and very well run (as is usual with any event at Diggle), looking forward to September when I can get up more often.

I will have a break from studying and Shaun and I will be there.

Best wishes.

Well, I'm not getting any younger so I've decided to make this the last year I'll run the Egg Shoot and Fly Shoot.

Maybe someone else will pick up on it and they'll continue.

Thanks for the time and effort you and others have put into the past shoots.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to take part in this comp for the first time... I'm not a member of Pennine Shooters / Diggle. Can anyone advise re booking on times / guest fees / pre-registration / misc admin points that could cause a drama on the day so I can turn up and see how the 6.5 runs out. Will be bringing FAC / Insurance and photo ID on the day as I would when I shoot at my home club. Thank you in advance to any Diggle types who can help!

I am hoping to take part in this comp for the first time... I'm not a member of Pennine Shooters / Diggle. Can anyone advise re booking on times / guest fees / pre-registration / misc admin points that could cause a drama on the day so I can turn up and see how the 6.5 runs out. Will be bringing FAC / Insurance and photo ID on the day as I would when I shoot at my home club. Thank you in advance to any Diggle types who can help!

You do not have to be a member of the PSSA so just turn up and arrive about 9am. You will pay £15 non members day fee to shoot and possibly another small sum for the competition itself. As long as you have an FAC, rifle, bolt, bipod/rest and ammo your good to go.

You will need no more than 10 rounds of ammo as you will shoot 3 shots at 100, 300 and 500 yards with no sighters (so make sure you know your 100 yd zero) and then 1 shot at the egg at 500yds. I would suggest you bring a few more rounds just in case of any problems.

The competition organiser once everyone is signed in and allocated a target number (you shoot the same card at all distances) explains the course of fire. If you have any questions just ask.

Finally, have a good day and the banter is excellent as everyone is pretty friendly at Diggle.

See you there, Les

Thank you chaps. See you on the day. I will be the one with the jellied eel and larks tongue club sandwich on artisan bread don't you know!! Right its Sunday morning time for that bacon buttie and coffee cos I can!

Hopefully some of the the 600 / 1000 yard BR & FT types will be around to see if my current setup if ok to come and give the longer range comps a go and to find out a bit more etc..... if there is anyone who can help I might even share the sandwiches with you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just one week to go to the Diggle Egg Shoot.

Long range forecast is good - for once.

Entry fee will be just a fiver (plus £15 range fee for non-members). All entry fee money will be given as prize-money plus small-group patches at each distance and of course £100 for egg breakers.

It is with great respect that I say this.

I would personally like to thank Vince for all of the hard work

he has put in over the years and all of his helpers!!

He deserves a big round of applause!!

Yes, let's give Vince the clap.

Oh hang on, that doesn't sound good!

Let's try again.

Like a fart in a space suit, Vince has always been there!

Still not quite the right way of expressing it.

Let's try, thanks Vince for the many hours you have put into running the competitions over many years. It is appreciated matey. It's been emotional.

Cheers, Les Senior

Things have developed significantly for me in the last week. I'm now in a great position but a bad one for shooting at the egg.

I had my rifle recrowned last week and while it was apart he was measuring certain things. The Smith found the rifle to have head space issues. Weird as my brass wasn't showing and problems and it was shooting like a laser.

He sorted the problem but after he told me that any rounds I had wouldn't cycle in the chamber.

Gutted. I have 80 rounds that are no good. I don't have anytime to reload before Monday.

The good news is that my FAC came back from its variation. .223 and mod are on it and off to pick up a rifle from an nice chap on Sunday. Unless he has rounds made up for that I'm won't be talking part.

The great thing about this is that my ticket is now Open. Very happy man.

Hope to see you Monday if luck goes my way.

Things have developed significantly for me in the last week. I'm now in a great position but a bad one for shooting at the egg.

I had my rifle recrowned last week and while it was apart he was measuring certain things. The Smith found the rifle to have head space issues. Weird as my brass wasn't showing and problems and it was shooting like a laser.

He sorted the problem but after he told me that any rounds I had wouldn't cycle in the chamber.

Gutted. I have 80 rounds that are no good. I don't have anytime to reload before Monday.

The good news is that my FAC came back from its variation. .223 and mod are on it and off to pick up a rifle from an nice chap on Sunday. Unless he has rounds made up for that I'm won't be talking part.

The great thing about this is that my ticket is now Open. Very happy man.

Hope to see you Monday if luck goes my way.

What rifle did you end up with btw?

Archived