Help needed .308 win load 110gn Hornady v-max with N135

DutchTRG22

Ran this in my old RPA 308,,,,,,,,,45gns 135 20thou off lands,,,notes say no primer problems and very accurate,,,,,I had made up 46gn and 47gn but never got round to trying them. My chamber was fairly short throated and my touching lands was 2.790 ,,,although this is pretty meaningless for you really....110vmax,,,,awesome on shortish range varmints but a bit light for 250 plus in wind,,,,,,,O,,,,good luck.

Many thanx to onehole

Could anybody provide me with the reloading data from the Hornady Manual.

I can't get one at the moment and I really need the data.

It would really help me

The current (10th ed) doesn't list any Viht powders for 110 and 125gn bullets and doesn't list N135 for any bullet weight in 308 Win period.

Vihtavuori doesn't list the powder for the 110gn Sako, but shows a compressed and sub-standard MV maximum charge of 47.2gn N135 for a 123gn FMJ bullet.

The reason is pretty plainly that N135 is too slow burning for the application. (It is the canister version of the bulk powder Lapua uses to load standard 7.62X51mm Nato with a 144-150gn FMJBT bullet and is optimised for that role.)

It's pretty obvious that you couldn't get enough N135 in a normal 308 Win case with the 110gn VMax bullet to produce excessive pressures. QuickLOAD confirms this with 49gn N135 (a very heavily compressed 110% fill-ratio loading) and the bullet barely seated in the neck at the standard 308 Win 2.800" COAL only producing 47,000 psi.

The good news is that QL calculates a near 100% charge burn and it looks like it's not be a bad match if the loss of a couple of hundred fps MV compared to a faster burning powder isn't a problem.

Archived