Bonding a rail to an action

Afternoon All,

After only 130ish rounds through my .300WSM the rail has started to come loose. The screws "securing" the rail to the action were very tight but the recoil seems to have loosened it.

Is it best to use an epoxy resin (Araldite et al) to create a better bond.

Any pitfalls or tips?

Thank in advance,

James

Strange - I also have a .300 WSM (in this case a Tikka T3) - this has had a Tikka rail fitted to it (not factory fitted which are epoxied on), but merely torqued on at around 15 in/lb (Tikka screws are only T10) - there has been no loosening whatosever over two years and some 600 rounds. Recently I have replaced thisrail with one from Recknagel similarly torqued to 20 in/lb, I don't expect it to move.

I replaced the Tikka 0moa rail that I purchased initially (not factory fitted to a T3x LH) with a Tier One 20moa. It might be because the rail didnot come with matching screws so I used normal 6-48 srews to install. Either way I need to ensure it doesn't move in the future.

So is expoy the right fixant?

I replaced the Tikka 0moa rail that I purchased initially (not factory fitted to a T3x LH) with a Tier One 20moa. It might be because the rail didnot come with matching screws so I used normal 6-48 srews to install. Either way I need to ensure it doesn't move in the future.

So is expoy the right fixant?

As I mentioned above, Tikka actually epoxy rails onto their actions - i.e. epoxy adhesive between action and rail, however I haven't gone to this level myself, I'm perfetly happy with it's security as is, however you can always use Loctite if you wish.

Interested in this thread from another angle.

Just looked at a video which used light epoxy bedding to get over any mating surface curvature between rail and action...ie ..if you simply screw down a rail under these circumstances you can induce a bend and transfer stress to scope and mounts AND I guess mess up any moa incline you have decided to include on the rail.

What do most gunsmiths do / recommend?

Devcon bed the rail to the action body.

In the case of a T3 I would use a Contessa rail which have a recoil lug which mates to the action - bonding necessary in this scenario.

Pinned rails do not need bonding either ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi james,

Where did you purchase your rail from? It should have been shipped with all the necessary hardware including the recoil pin. If you let me have your address I will forward some over to you ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Tier-One

That is a very kind offer.

PM sent.

Archived