Gunsmith question on short action

Hi

I have a question about converting a short action between calibers

I understand that with a short action rifle set up for the 308 family of cartridges you can change calibers by just swapping barrels between the .243, .260 and .308 and even 6.5CM and 6.5x47 given they all use the same bolt face

But what about the short action magnums??

Could you set up a short action rifle (say a custom build) to run 308 but do so with suitably stout short action and magnum bolt (if such a thing exists) so that in future you could barrel in 300 WSM by changing the bolt face and barrel - or similar by a good gunsmith??

I accept you would need to plan ahead and get the larger magazine set up so you could load the 300 WSM to just shy of 3" COAL but is this even possible (do you need mag adapters etc)

best

Hobbit

Bradders

Thanks - could you start with a meaty bolt so you just needed to change the bolt face (rather like with a blaser r8)?

Would the mag or the mag inlet be a problem - the 300WSM cartridges being fat and the the 308's proportionately skinnier?

As Bradders said not major issue to open up a 308 bolt face to take a mag cartridge.

A standard AI 5 round 308 mag will take sort mag cartridges wsm/ Saum.

Just open up the feed lips.

Your COAL will be limited but that is the sacrifice of a short action magnum.

thanks - are there longer short action mags? I heard that remington does one of about 3" for the short mags

My Sako TRG22/308 has a long mag (for short action) and it proved a big help as it likes a long cartridge - 2.905 COAL with a scenar 155 - there is still plenty of room in the mag

Accurate mag AICS pattern WSM Specific 4rd (308 5rd size) mags feed well and allow a coal of about 2.960" (this is with a T3 Action but would also work with a true short action) - I believe they now do a 7 round one as well.

Both are be available from RPA.

You could also look at Savages. They too use interchangeable bolt heads, simply screw the .308w family head off and replace with anything else you like. If you have the bottom metal setup to use accurate/AICS mags, you have a very flexible rifle.

Archived