Non Toxic/Lead Free Bullet Comparison

For info, there is current scientific evidence that even copper bullets are toxic, though no doubt the quantity put into the environment needs to be huge, with apparently only tin being "safe". Perhaps this has something to do with RWS new tin bullets.

The Oxford Lead Symposium mob of scientists are continuing to pump out research papers, even though BASC et al believed they had seem off the risk from the Uk Committe where Swift seemed to side with the anti-lead brigade. Sadly BASC has had its eye off this ball since they suspended and then fired Richard Ali.....

Interesting thread.

Like a couple of other respondees to this thread, ive been using mono metal and LTS for over ten years, at first starting with Barnes, (which i found inconsistent, lot to lot), using some Lutz Moeller LTS, a selection of custom small produced in the UK examples (again inconsistent) then moving to and settling on GS Custom (which just plain work)

Calibres used are 6.5mm, 7mm and 338.

For the last 5 yrs, ive used GS Custom for deer and can only speak from experience of these

Weight retention is superb

Expansion is usually 1.5 times calibre diameter

Accuracy - as good as a match bullet

Load development - easy

Cost - les than factory ammunition but more than conventional lead core

Copper Toxicity - may be higher than lead (I dont know what the LD50 of either Lead or Copper is), however when I look at x rays of shot carcasses (lead core vs copper), I know id prefer to consume a carcass which isn't ingrained with a pattern around the wound area (and beyond) of micromolecules of lead......

Terminal ballistics - ive used "several" boxes of GS during the last 5 years, none have failed to do the job intended in a humane and rapid manner.

Interesting thread.

Like a couple of other respondees to this thread, ive been using mono metal and LTS for over ten years, at first starting with Barnes, (which i found inconsistent, lot to lot), using some Lutz Moeller LTS, a selection of custom small produced in the UK examples (again inconsistent) then moving to and settling on GS Custom (which just plain work)

Calibres used are 6.5mm, 7mm and 338.

For the last 5 yrs, ive used GS Custom for deer and can only speak from experience of these

Weight retention is superb

Expansion is usually 1.5 times calibre diameter

Accuracy - as good as a match bullet

Load development - easy

Cost - les than factory ammunition but more than conventional lead core

Copper Toxicity - may be higher than lead (I dont know what the LD50 of either Lead or Copper is), however when I look at x rays of shot carcasses (lead core vs copper), I know id prefer to consume a carcass which isn't ingrained with a pattern around the wound area (and beyond) of micromolecules of lead......

Terminal ballistics - ive used "several" boxes of GS during the last 5 years, none have failed to do the job intended in a humane and rapid manner.

Where do you source your GS Bullets?

From the Netherlands - Tiemens and Tiemens - I import them for myself and a few people who use them

You're obviously much more informed than me about that sort of thing ....

See some guides from your country who put a lot of stuff on youtube submitted reviews on the GS bullets to the gs nz website

Thanks. I will contact them.

Youre welcome, you will need to buy an import licence by the way with your order..

Archived